cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My equifax score dropped from 715 to 700 in one month... what happened?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My equifax score dropped from 715 to 700 in one month... what happened?

I use equifax and have unlimited credit score checks. On 9/19/11 my credit score was 715. I just checked today, and it went down to 700. I have done nothing different. No new cards, no additional debt, no missed payments. What are some other things that may have caused this?

I also have been trying to increase my score (obviously to no avail).  All I have are student loans, car payment, and an american express card.  Should I be doing something additional?  Another credit card?  Everything I use is paid in full at the end of the month.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: My equifax score dropped from 715 to 700 in one month... what happened?

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, the score that you get through them is a FAKO (non-FICO score.) No telling why it changed, or if your FICO score would have changed.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 28
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Not necessarily a FAKO.  They do have an unadvertised product that gives unlimited EQ FICO's.  It was offered to me when I called to cancel my Scorewatch account.  It's the same price but gives unlimited EQ credit reports and FICO's, I update mine everyday.   Yes, it's an incredible value.  Their member center log in is down or I would give you the name of the product.  I have no idea if they offer it to new customers or only those who are canceling a product.

OP:  Nothing changed at all?  No new increased credit card amount reporting, inquiery, new account, nothing?  Something had to have changed somewhere.  Maybe check for a CLD that could have changed your utilization?

Message 3 of 28
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@boomhower wrote:

Not necessarily a FAKO.  They do have an unadvertised product that gives unlimited EQ FICO's.  It was offered to me when I called to cancel my Scorewatch account.  It's the same price but gives unlimited EQ credit reports and FICO's, I update mine everyday.   Yes, it's an incredible value.  Their member center log in is down or I would give you the name of the product.  I have no idea if they offer it to new customers or only those who are canceling a product.

OP:  Nothing changed at all?  No new increased credit card amount reporting, inquiery, new account, nothing?  Something had to have changed somewhere.  Maybe check for a CLD that could have changed your utilization?

If you could post back with the product name, and a copy/paste from the site that indicates that this is a FICO score, that would be a wonderful gift to these forums!

I have Equifax Credit Watch Gold, and I love it, but it does not give me my EQ FICO scores.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 28
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@boomhower wrote:

If you could post back with the product name, and a copy/paste from the site that indicates that this is a FICO score, that would be a wonderful gift to these forums!

I have Equifax Credit Watch Gold, and I love it, but it does not give me my EQ FICO scores.

It came back up.  The product is called Equifax Credit Watch™ Gold with Credit Scores and it costs $12.95 a month.   I don't see anywhere where I can copy anything that says it's a FICO score other than a copy page but I'm not posting that here!  I know it's a FICO for two reasons. 1) they told me.  2) if it wasn't I'm sure they would have a link there nice and handy to sell me one.  Also when I do it from the iPad app it does say "getting updated FICO score"  My suggestion is to give them a call and ask them about it.   Sure it is possible they  lied to me to keep me from cancelling and are giving me their "Equifax score".  If I find out they are someone is going to be on the wrong end of a one way conversation.  If you get a chance give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.  I'm going on 7p-7a tomorrow so I'm going to be sleeping all day and then going to work.  I'll check in on here tomorrow evening and see if you had any luck.

Message 5 of 28
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Is this your product? Equifax Credit Watch Gold with 3-in-1 Monitoring and Score Power

They keep rebranding their products, and the Credit Watch Gold products don't even get listed on the Products page any more, unless the cookies on my laptop are blocking it. They used to be very straightforward about what they were selling, but once they invented their own score, that ended. Smiley Sad And as you say, they have lots of unadvertised products that you can stumble across.

Does it give you the score range for your scores? If so, is it 280-850 or 300-850? Or something else again?

I hate to say it, but generally speaking, if it doesn't say FICO score somewhere, it's not a FICO. Don't post your report Smiley Very Happy, but look long and hard for anything on there that says FICO.

Frankly, I don't see how they could give you unlimited FICO's. Just as FICO has to pay Equifax when you buy your FICO score here, the same happens in reverse: Equifax (and the others) have to pay FICO every time your EQ FICO score is pulled. That's why they're so expensive, no matter where you get them. In contrast, the various roll-your-own FAKO scores don't have any particular cost associated with them, especially when they're on their own reports; thus the "hot" deals.

If I have a chance (doubt I will), I'll give them a call today.

Message 6 of 28
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Is this your product? Equifax Credit Watch Gold with 3-in-1 Monitoring and Score Power

They keep rebranding their products, and the Credit Watch Gold products don't even get listed on the Products page any more, unless the cookies on my laptop are blocking it. They used to be very straightforward about what they were selling, but once they invented their own score, that ended. Smiley Sad And as you say, they have lots of unadvertised products that you can stumble across.

Does it give you the score range for your scores? If so, is it 280-850 or 300-850? Or something else again?

I hate to say it, but generally speaking, if it doesn't say FICO score somewhere, it's not a FICO. Don't post your report Smiley Very Happy, but look long and hard for anything on there that says FICO.

Frankly, I don't see how they could give you unlimited FICO's. Just as FICO has to pay Equifax when you buy your FICO score here, the same happens in reverse: Equifax (and the others) have to pay FICO every time your EQ FICO score is pulled. That's why they're so expensive, no matter where you get them. In contrast, the various roll-your-own FAKO scores don't have any particular cost associated with them, especially when they're on their own reports; thus the "hot" deals.

If I have a chance (doubt I will), I'll give them a call today.

No, that's not it.  It isn't listed on the webpage.  It is an unadvertised product.  But with what you said it seems highly unlikely that it's a FICO score, it doesn't make financial sense for it to be.  I just thought that since it was an equifax score they would be ablt to provide not thinking that it's not actually their but Fair Isaacs.  I'm working all weekend so Monday someone at Equifax is getting an ugly phone call, I don't like being lied too.

Message 7 of 28
Ms-Kato
Contributor

This is the one (See Below ) they offer when you call them..I know..I called about a collection dispute this afternoon that was

paid but showing still open for EQ. They deleted it for me,...Yep deleted just like that. So I pulled the EQ report (unlimited pulls)

and sure enough gone.

After clearing that up they offer you this (See Below )...I bought it and you can cancel at anytime.It's not a Fico score

and was told it was their own score. You get alot of features so I figured what the heck they deleted my collection

that shouldn't have been on my report and will try it for a month.

Equifax Complete Advantage Plan™

Message 8 of 28
terren2000
Regular Contributor

If his Fako Equifax changed, theres a good chance his Fico will change.

Thats how I know when to update my Fico.

I have unlimited Equifax pulls, i pull it everyday, and whenever theres a change, i come here and pull Fico and there is also a change.

So Equifax is a good barometer for when your score will rise or fall with Fico.

IMO.  its been on point 100% of the time.

Equifax - 789 Experian - 747 (Fako) Transunion - 715

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 789
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 28
terren2000
Regular Contributor

Equifax use to give you a Fico score, but I dont see a fico score anymore.  i think they stopped.

My Equifax score and Fico score are far apart, and they update usually the same time, or a date later, and ahve the same changes listed when i update my score.

Scorewatch is definately not a Fico anymore IMO.

Equifax - 734

MyFico Equifax - 789

Equifax - 789 Experian - 747 (Fako) Transunion - 715

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 789
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.