Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My fico score. Finally got it!

tag
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

My fico score. Finally got it!

Well I got my "REAL" fico score. I got it from Equifax, and it's a 668. A big different from a 798 Faco from transunion. I'm a little disappointed, because I thought it'd be a bit higher, but it's still a lot higher than last year when I was at around 600. I'm not sure what will raise it, maybe only time, as it says in my report that the length of history is "not good".. everything else is either "very good" or "great".
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Re: My fico score. Finally got it!

Just to clarify (sorry if you already know this): You have 3 "real" FICO scores, one each based on the information in your EQ, TU, and EX credit reports.

Cheers 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 2 of 14
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

Yes, I am aware. I just got the free reports from transunion and experian within the last 6 months, so I figured I would get Equifax this time and pay for the score. I'm a little unsure of how to make my score go up. If I should apply for another normal CC and do everything perfect with it. Or If I would be better off leaving everything alone for now. 668 doesn't seem as good as I want it to. I want a 700 or more. Smiley Happy Now I am 30 or so points from there. Maybe within a year I can get to 700. The short length of credit history isn't helping I suppose. Just reaching the 3 year mark, but then again I guess it's just a ride we all take and not much can be done about that except letting time go by.

Message 3 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

theNavigator wrote:

Yes, I am aware. I just got the free reports from transunion and experian within the last 6 months, so I figured I would get Equifax this time and pay for the score. I'm a little unsure of how to make my score go up. If I should apply for another normal CC and do everything perfect with it. Or If I would be better off leaving everything alone for now. 668 doesn't seem as good as I want it to. I want a 700 or more. Smiley Happy Now I am 30 or so points from there. Maybe within a year I can get to 700. The short length of credit history isn't helping I suppose. Just reaching the 3 year mark, but then again I guess it's just a ride we all take and not much can be done about that except letting time go by.

Well, do you have any lates? CAs? COs? Other baddies to tackle?

With the card you have, how's util?

And you have no other open or closed accounts listed? Those impact your avg. age.

If that one CC the only thing on your report, then hitting the 3 yr mark will not increase your score to 700.

IMO, if that one card is your only open card, then try adding one more revolving (assuming that card you have is a revolving CC) and one charge card, like a Macys. I started last August with 0 CCs, and saw large gains by adding my first 3 CCs (2 revolving and one store charge). Subsequent cards lead to a 20-25 pt drop on avg with more points returning in a short few months.

Message 4 of 14
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Is 3 years your average age or is that your oldest card? Do you have any installment loans (car, mortgage, student loans, etc) With some additional information (see post above for example) you will receive lots of ways to raise your credit score Smiley Happy

The most helpful will likely be the number of CC you have and your current balances and credit limits.

Cheers 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 5 of 14
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

In Credit cards I have a post entitled "What Should I Do For New Credit" and there is more on my situation if you care to look. I'm at work now, but will post more later. Basically only ever had 1 collection and didn't know til this year, paid that off a few months ago it was for less than $150.00...3 CCs. One Cap 1, One Macys, One Gap. Macys is my highest limit with $1500 now. No balances really. I added slight balance to macys for xmas and to cap one, but other than that I plan on paying it off within a month's time. Never late. No auto loan etc. I had one secured loan a couple years back for 7g that I paid on time all the time.
Message 6 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

theNavigator wrote:
In Credit cards I have a post entitled "What Should I Do For New Credit" and there is more on my situation if you care to look. I'm at work now, but will post more later. Basically only ever had 1 collection and didn't know til this year, paid that off a few months ago it was for less than $150.00...3 CCs. One Cap 1, One Macys, One Gap. Macys is my highest limit with $1500 now. No balances really. I added slight balance to macys for xmas and to cap one, but other than that I plan on paying it off within a month's time. Never late. No auto loan etc. I had one secured loan a couple years back for 7g that I paid on time all the time.

Your credit mix is fine. Adding anything else will hurt your score. Well, maybe one more revolving would possibly help, but isn't necessary for a 750 score.

You need to remove that collection. Per your FICO score, a paid CA is just as bad (and sometimes even worse) than an unpaid collection. I would GW that CA and ask for removal.

Message 7 of 14
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

You're right. I paid it in September it reported October 08. I shouldn't even of had this on my name, but verizon screwed me and technically I should've fought it. I was stuck in another contract with equipment when technically I wasn't supposed to be. I had switched the number for dsl into my name but I had the same equipment for over a year so it was technically MY equipment, yet they charged me for it and I had moved etc and had no idea about it until I saw it on my report much later...

I am going to call them on monday and see if they can help me remove it all together. Yes, it says it's paid, but it's a constant thing being brought up on my report! Other than that I will try to keep a slight balance on my revolving reg cc and just see what happens from there! I think if the collection was off completely I'd probably have an even higher score. I hope they are understanding and help me do this. If not should I call the actual credit agencies, or technically is it supposed to be on there for 7 years? I had something else that used to be on my CR that doesn't show anymore now, so... I don't see why they'd give me an issue about this, they will probably remove it all together I hope..

Message 8 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Your CO will be very difficult to remove. Speaking from experience, Verizon (landline and cell) is a pain in the you know where.

Calling them is a great first step, though make sure you have the $$$ to PIF. I would prep PFD letters and slowly mail them. They were on DW's report and it took multiple letters monthly to get them to go away. I'd bug them with phone calls too, at least one a week. But be cordial about everything. Ask for help with a smile. You can get info from them and that info is priceless.

Message 9 of 14
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

I guess I can give it a try. It is paid off and a $0 balance. What else should I do. I'm having a hard issue with termonology. I will go look those abbr up right now. Smiley Happy thanks for the help. It went to a collection agency and I have the receipt where I paid it off with their number on it so I'm calling them on Monday when they are open.
Message Edited by theNavigator on 01-03-2009 02:53 PM
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.