New Visitor
jgomez

My score dropped -46 points! What's the deal?

[ Edited ]
Hello everyone, I've been monitoring my FICO with ScoreWatch for over a year and a half now with great success. I started with a 606 and got it up to a 719 on 9/12/2007. I just received an e-mail from the ScoreWatch saying one of my accounts (my Chase card) has a balance increase of a whopping (notice my sarcasm) of $30! In turn, my score has dropped 46 points to a dreadful 666. What's the deal?! I use my card frequently and pay off the balance every month.

Here's a graph of my score drop: :smileysad:
http://i10.tinypic.com/8f3ml3t.png

Here's exactly what the notification said:

CHASE (XXXXXXXXXXXX9310)
New balance: $30
Show/Hide Details

Account opened: 3/2007
Description: Credit card
Amount in H/C column is credit limit

Previously reported Newly reported
Account balance: $0 $30

You received this alert because this balance which was previously $0 increased to $30. You can change the settings for this kind of alert here.

Contact: CHASE, PO Box 15298, Wilmington, DE, 198505298 • (800) 955-9900
How balance increases impact your score:

A balance increase on an account may lower your FICO® score.

A large balance on an account, or balances on many accounts, can be a sign that you may be having trouble paying back debts. Since your FICO® score measures the chances that you will pay back a debt, larger balances or balances on more accounts can lower your score.

"Maxing out" a credit card or other line of credit is when the balance on the account comes close to the account's credit limit. This can dramatically lower your FICO® score because it is often a sign of a consumer who desperately needs credit and may not be able to pay it back.

The drop in your FICO® score caused by a balance increase can be reversed by paying down the balance.

Message Edited by jgomez on 11-19-2007 12:13 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

Re: My score dropped -46 points! What's the deal?

I would have a hard time not pulling a report-

If I were to guess- you are getting hit for accounts with balances-

Even more likely there is something else going on the FICO SW did not pick up on.

Discount code HOLIDAY25 for 25% off.
Frequent Contributor
TheCynicalOne

Timothy wrote:
I would have a hard time not pulling a report-

If I were to guess- you are getting hit for accounts with balances-

Even more likely there is something else going on the FICO SW did not pick up on.

Discount code HOLIDAY25 for 25% off.

Is ScoreWatch worth getting as a treat for myself for the holidays?  I've seen soooo many threads debating over credit monitoring services but I'm only now starting to tune and start considering...especially seeing the discount code...haha.  I wish there was a monitoring service that scanned Ex, Eq, and TU.
Time is credit's best friend...it can heal any wound.
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

TheCynicalOne wrote:
Is ScoreWatch worth getting as a treat for myself for the holidays? I've seen soooo many threads debating over credit monitoring services but I'm only now starting to tune and start considering...especially seeing the discount code...haha. I wish there was a monitoring service that scanned Ex, Eq, and TU.

Don't we all! There are actually a lot that monitor the three reports, but it's too expensive to put together a 3-bureau FICO score monitoring service.

I agree with Timothy --there has to be something else going on. One thought: had your Chase card been unused for a while? I got an alert for a balance going on an account that had not been used in a while. Like yours, it was a small balance, too.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}