cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My score dropped 50 points! It's a mistake!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My score dropped 50 points! It's a mistake!

I am about to cry.  I should have left it alone but I disputed an inaccuracy on a 2005 credit item that has been closed since 2005.  Original information looked like this:

12/2002 opened

7/2006 reported

12/2005 last payment

account status: paid as agreed

Date of last activity 12/2005

last late  payment 10/2005

I disputed the fact that i was ever late well equifax updated the information and this is what it looks like now:

12/2002 opened 

5/2009 reported

account status:31-60 days late

How can they do this.  My score just dropped 50 points due to an 4 year old account that I haven't touched.  I was just trying to remoe the late and they updated it as if it is a current late. I disputed it online again but it doesn't give enough comment space to explain the situation. I am pissed!!! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My score dropped 50 points! It's a mistake!

ouch. i have a feeling they are gonna let this one ride its course. call em' who knows,

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am going to call in the morning and the account status is clearly incorrect. They changed it from paid as agreed to currently 31-60 days late. WTF!!  last payment on account was made in december of 2005.  
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this account open or closed?

Is this account paid or does it have a balance?

Were you ever late?  If so, when?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The account is closed.  It was an installment account/non-revolving.  It was paid in full in 2005 when I made my last payment.  I was never late however it has been on my credit report as late once in 2005.  I never disputed it until now. I disputed that and it backfired on me as now they are reporting that I am currently 31-60 days late as if this is a current account with outstanding payment. This account is paid and full and as agreed (which is what the status previously stated until I disputed).

I am upset and about to call Equifax.  They don't have to remove the mark that says I paid late in october 2005 but they do need to remove the obviously incorrect entry that says I am currently late and change it back to paid as agreed or the FTC and attorney general will be contacted. Not sure if the error is on equifax's end or the creditor but someone better fix it.
Message 5 of 8
nathan
Frequent Contributor

I have the same problem withg eq. I paid a $140 ca and eq now puts 120 day lates on the account. This account is reported as ca in exp and tu, but eq calls it negative account. The 120 days only reported after i paid. I do not know if it is the collection agency that included the 120 days late or eq, so i don't know what to do right now. I just paid this ca because i did not want my lo to wonder why I can't pay a $140 collection when I apply for my mortgage later this year. My Score droped from 661 to 636 just because of this. Why does eq call an account a ca, but reports it to make it look like it is revolving or installment account?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nathan,

Did you dspute it with Equifax?  In my case this creditor is reporting correctly to the other bureaus as well.  I called Equifax a minute ago and explained the situation. They've opened up an investigation.

To everyone else,

Do you think I should contact the creditor as well or should I wait for Equifax to complete their investigation? I know they have to respond in less than 30 days but I am very impatient and upset.

Message 7 of 8
nathan
Frequent Contributor

I disputed the account before and eq verified and after I paid it, it got worst. I disputed another paid ca with exp that had not updated since feb when it was paid and it came back verified and updated to april 09. I know my exp score droped because of this, but since i cant see it, i can only wonder by how much. Bottom line, I will never pay a collection account that is already reporting.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.