Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My score is lower...

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

My score is lower...

I'm a little shocked ot see a score of 591 on my TU report pulled from here, especially after I had a few negatives deleted.  I've paid collections, but they still are on there and there's nothing I can do.  I have no revolving  credit.  My student loans are current but show payment history from when i was delinquent in 2004.

Please help me, I don't know what i can do any more.  I want to get a car i know i can afford, and i'm so dissapointed with this i feel like no matter how much work i've put in to fixing credit the past couple years, it has done me no good.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: My score is lower...

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration and understand why you are upset. Keep in mind that paying off collections has no effect on your score, and if the collection had been dormant for a while and you paid it off, it could even hurt your score from bringing the reporting current and making it score like a new delinquent. 

How delinquent were you on your student loans in 2004?

Having no revolving credit is hurting you a bunch. You need a mix of credit, and a lack of revolving credit makes companies very hesitant to lend to you. Try opening a secured credit card and maybe a store card to build some credit up. You need to show you can have revolving credit and be responsible with it.

With no mix of credit, serious derogatories, and your only trade lines show past delinquencies, it's not much of a surprise your score is so low. When you have negatives on your report, you aren't going to see much of a raise (if any) from removing other negatives because you are still in a dirty bucket.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

thanks for your reply...

my student loan TLs actually do show as 'paid as agreed' and have been current for a while now, but it mentions that lateness from 10/2005 when they were 90 days past due.  I am thinking of trying to write a good will letter to the loan company

as for the collections, i'm really confused...i always thought itwas based on DOFD, not DOLA...in any case is this report date really hurting me...I did see the one had a report day of 10/2009 even though i haven't had any activity on it in at least 2 years.

As for revolving credit, i know this is a killer...but i'm really nervous to apply given my score.  Any advice on where to look for these?

Message 3 of 10
cdtotten
Established Contributor

A 90 day past due is considered a key derogatory and is going to hurt your score until it falls off. Despite being current now, a 90 day late is just as bad as a charge-off in some respects. A good will letter cant hurt considering you are current now.

The fall off date is still based on the DOFD, but when a delinquent account that has been sitting for a while gets updated because of a dispute, recent activity, or a payoff, it makes the account look like a current delinquency. As with all negative items, with time the score effect begins to diminish, but making it recent will cause the original hit to show back up again.

For a secured card, try a local credit union. They are usually pretty lenient with their acceptance. If you search on the forums, there are a couple companies that will give you a secured credit card if you send them the minimum deposit.

Message 4 of 10
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

With regards to the collections and report date, is there any recourse i have or something as far as indicating the proper 'aging' for these?  I can see 2 of the 3 on here i never disputed, and haven't done anything recently yet they are reported as 10/09.  Could i call them or dispute the date?

How shackled am I as far as doing basic things in life?  I mean i'm not looking to spend money I don't have, nor am I looking for anything I can't afford...i'm just thinkin basics...cheap car, apartment, and a basic low CL card to help rebuild.  I feel like there has to be something out there for people like me.  thanks for your advice so far.

Message 5 of 10
cdtotten
Established Contributor

There really isn't any recourse, and don't worry about the updated date. That won't hurt you. What sometimes happens is a charge off or collection reports as ok for a long time (despite being a negative account) and then all of a sudden you dispute or pay it off and it gets updated in a bad way.

You aren't truly shackled, just held back from certain things. Renting an apartment won't be that big of a deal; references and work history will help you there. Focus on getting a secured credit card first before you worry about an unsecured card. Baby steps.

Message 6 of 10
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Thank you for your advice...it helps.  It's just so disheartening to see that after feeling like you made progress.  I can't believe we have a system where paying a debt hurts you.
Message 7 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The fall off date for any monthly derog with an OC is NOT pegged in any way to the DOFD.

It is 7 years from from the date of each OC delinquency,.  FCRA 605(a)(5).

DOFD only enters into the picture when it involves the reporting of a charge-off or collection.  Those seperate reportings drop at 7 1/2 years from the DOFD.  FCRA 605(c).

Paying a collection does  not remove the prior reporting of the collection without a PFD, so does not help FICO scoring.

The fact of prior default remains, fair or unfair.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 11-21-2009 04:54 AM
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately this has happened to me too Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 10
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Get a secured CC as fast as you can. Since you have no revolving lines the baddies hurt more strongly. The single best thing to improve your score is getting a CC. Secured or not makes no difference in score but secured cards are easier to get and a few places don't even pull credit.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.