Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My student loan High Balance is now $0

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My student loan High Balance is now $0

My Navient student loans were reporting high balances lower than my actual balance. Knowing that was impossible, I disputed them. Well, Equifax and TransUnion have updated my student loan high balances to $0. Experian hasn't completed their review yet apparently.

I suppose this means I will never be able to get my utilization down on them. How can I dispute them so that my actual high balances will report? Should I call Navient, find their credit department, and try to prod them into reporting my high balances correctly? Should I get the original high balance for each loan from Navient, and dispute with the additional information from Navient? I'm a little worried if I keep disputing my student loans I'll just end up with positive trade lines being removed from my credit report. On the positive side my credit scores haven't changed, but I'm sure the scoring model just sees over 100% utilization in both cases.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My student loan High Balance is now $0

The "high balance" may be a particular bureau's way of describing the original loan amount.  If so, it's not uncommon in the case of student loan for a person's current balance to be higher (truly) than the original loan amount.  A common situation is that the borrower takes out a loan for $10,000 (original loan amount) and then by the time he graduates it is $10,900 (current balance).

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.