Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyFICO EQ Score - Util - Very Good to Great

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

MyFICO EQ Score - Util - Very Good to Great

The shift point for this seems to be below 5% is usually great and above (but less than 10) is very good (more or less).

Now we always talk anou 1-9%.  I wonder if it 1-5 and 5-9 %?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: MyFICO EQ Score - Util - Very Good to Great

I'm thinking 1-4% and 5-9%, with rounding.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 12
smallfry
Senior Contributor

In what area of the report are you seeing all of this? My utilization this month is 3% and the class is very good. First page of FICO EQ report?
Message 3 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I see the good - very good - etc on screen 1 of EQ and TU (EX won't play.) I'm usually getting either scolded or praised for util on screen 2, so that's where I get that.

Figuring out whether you have pleased or displeased the FICO gods involves a lot of analyzing and guesswork of what the score reports offer!

You can also find your revolving util with Equifax's Credit Watch Gold (from their website.) Up to daily pulls of their full report, plus alerts, and a great layout and so forth.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 12
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Hauling I no longer get CWG from EQ but since my total available credit is right around 100K it is really easy to figure out my utilization. It has remained between 1-3% since last July and I have only been graded very good never great. I thought the reports had added a new wrinkle today since my latest EQ FICO report from last nite didn't have any new info since last year's reports on that front. My scores are in a rut until July when most of my new accounts grow to one year old. I hope I get a score pop at that point. My scores have not changed at all in 3 months.
Message 5 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Oops, sorry, forgot that I was replying to a pro! Smiley Happy And you're the one who told me about CWG in the first place. (and thanks again!) This is what I get for trying to reply to 3 posts at once.

That's very weird indeed that you only get "very good" with your util. I hadn't noticed that, but I just now checked: I once accidentally had 0 accounts reporting balances on TU (thank you TU for not bothering to update!) I actually got a score boost from this, but even with 0% util, I had a "very good."

Those folks are hard to please!
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:
The shift point for this seems to be below 5% is usually great and above (but less than 10) is very good (more or less).

Now we always talk anou 1-9%.  I wonder if it 1-5 and 5-9 %?

I'm glad you mentioned this.  I was going to start a thread about this subject. 

I noticed on an Equifax report, when my utilization was 6%, I received this remark--

Amount of debt

Your total amount of outstanding debt.

Very Good

On a later report, when my utilization dropped to 5%, Equifax commented--

Amount of debt

Your total amount of outstanding debt.

Great

However, my score didn't increase when I went from "Very Good" to "Great."

Message 7 of 12
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Anyone who has received a "great" must have a car loan nearly paid off is my guess. Although my car loan is well past 50% paid this must be the reason I do not receive great in this category. Maybe the fact that I have a public record still on the report is holding this back? Maybe they need to see an active/open mortgage? Maybe they just don't like me? lol.
Message 8 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

smallfry, that might well be it. Even when I had 0% revolving util, I had a balance on a HELOC and a mortgage. So maybe this first page is also considering installment util.

Except that MV does have a HELOC. OK, so maybe not...
Message 9 of 12
cobra19
Valued Contributor

< 3% for best results. IMO, that has always been the magic number.
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.