cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyFico TU score 220 points off from rejection letter!

tag
ChuckG
Regular Contributor

MyFico TU score 220 points off from rejection letter!

What the hell is going on here?

I was trying to improve my amount of revolving credit by applying for a walmart discover and they emailed me a rejection letter stating that my TU score was 422!

According to MyFico my TU score is 642.

A side note, my BofA Secured card rejection (OUCH!) letter listed my EX score as 600 which is spot on with my EX FAKO.

Can someone help me figure this out?

Starting Score: 556
Current Score: 672, 681, 692
Goal Score: 700, 700, 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: MyFico TU score 220 points off from rejection letter!

Wal-Mart Discover is backed by GECRB. They use their own internal score that tops 600-something IIRC.

Message 2 of 5
ChuckG
Regular Contributor

Oh, I see that now

Your Credit Score: 422
Date: 12/19/2012
Scores range from a low of 300 to a high of 620

Still, that means I'm at 58% with FICO and 38% with their internal score. Pretty whack. I thought Discover was supposed to be easy to get? And not even offered a straight wal mart card instead? Blah!

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Starting Score: 556
Current Score: 672, 681, 692
Goal Score: 700, 700, 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

The Discover-branded Wal-Mart card doesn't use Discover or Discover's credit standards. They only use their network. It's just like my DW's BofA Amex CC. Even though it has an Amex logo, it isn't an Amex and BofA doesn't pull from Amex when deciding approval.

Who knows. You might apply with Discover today and get approved. That happened to me about 3 yrs ago. GECRB kept denying me for everything even with FICOs in the mid-700s. I couldn't get approved for a Wal-Mart, Mens Wearhouse, JCP, etc. Others got approved with FICOs in the low 600s and that made me mad that I couldn't get approved. So right after being denied for Wally World, I applied for an Amex and Discover and got approved just to boost my ego a bit. There's something about GECRB's internal score that hated me for whatever reason. It wasn't until years later when my score dropped back into the high 600s when I tried again and got approved for a Paypal SmartConnect.

Message 4 of 5
HiLine
Blogger

If you see a credit score that doesn't specifically mention FICO, it is not a FICO  score. Non-FICO scores have zero applicability.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.