cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyFico VS Discover Fico

tag
GETTNBETTER78

MyFico VS Discover Fico

I just pulled my MyFico TU score, as I usually do once a month.  In February my score was 706, in March my score was 711 and I just pulled Aprils tonight...it was 690!!?? A score drop of 21 points??!  I received my Discover Fico on April 9th which was 726.  I know MyFico and Discover Fico use different models.  What is confusing to me is when I pulled my MyFico score in March there was a B of A credit card balance of $194 and a Dicover Card balance of $425.  So I figured since I paid the B of A balance off in full, my April MyFico score would be a little better, or at the very least, the same as MyFico score of 711 in March.  Other than me paying off my B of A balance in full and having a Discover balance of $400 now, NOTHING has changed.   No recent inquiries..etc.  Another funny thing is when I went and did the TU score simulator and entered in paying off the entire Discover balance of $400, it said it couldn't simulate score because I have no revolving balances? Huh? So my $400 Discover card balance, which it shows, is not considered a revolving balance?  I have a total credit limit of $12800. So I know I am well below the standard 10% in credit card balances.  Discover Fico seems to be more accurate to me.  I pay off a balance in full and pay the only other balance down and my score drops 21 points?  Any thoughts would help.  Recently BECU approved me for a $7500 credit card, but they did not do a hard pull on my TU report.  I made sure when they sent the pre-approve offer that it wouldn't show up as a hard inquiry on my report and they assured me it would not.  They were right, when I click on recent inquiry, BECU is not on there and my last inquiry was Nov/2013.  Once again, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  One more thing, just checked my Credit Karma score and it was 743. It has increased since I paid off my B of A balance.  I know CK score is not accurate.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: MyFico VS Discover Fico

MyFico uses TU 98, and Discover TU 08, and thus the scores will not match except by coincidence.

Beyond that, I'd check into issues with reporting dates and lags, and try to figure out what was on your report at the instant when the score was calculated.

As far as a hard pull from BECU, the credit pulls database shows that they pull from a variety of bureaus, so maybe they did a hard pull on EX or EQ.

Message 2 of 3
GETTNBETTER78

Re: MyFico VS Discover Fico

BECU only uses TU.  They do not use Equifax or Experian.  It makes no sense to me that my score on TU would drop 21 points, especially since I paid off my B of A balance that showed in my March TU MyFico pull and payed down my Discover card balance.  It shows all updated info on my current April report. B of A balance $0 and Discover balance of $400.  Nothing else has changed since my March report other than those 2 items, which should be looked at as a positive change.  Also, why is it telling me I have NO revolving balances when I do the TU estimator and enter in paying my Discover balance in full?  It clearly shows Discover balance of $400, but at the same time tells me it can't estimate what my score would be if  I pay off my Discover card balance because " I do not have any revolving balances", huh??  All my other CC are paid in full each month, and they have always reported a $0 balance correctly which reflects every month I pull my MyFico score. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.