Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyFico Vs Barclaycard Fico Scores

tag
meehan22
Frequent Contributor

MyFico Vs Barclaycard Fico Scores

Last week I pulled a new TU report and had a 702. I opened up a new Barclaycard and a new PayPal account. 
So seeing how Barclaycard offers a free TU Fico score I figured i'd see what it shows. It was a huge difference. 

BarClayCard tells me I have a 637. Are they using an older model compared to what MyFico uses? 

It was quite the shock! 

*Edit: CreditKarma tells me I have 639. So its safe to assume to not completely trust BarClayCard's fico score? 

Wallet: Chase $6,000 - Discover $1,500 - Walmart $2,200 - Voyage FCU $1,300 - Zales $2,300 - Elan Fin: $12,500(AU, reporting) - Chase $8,500 (AU, reporting) 1% UTL
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: MyFico Vs Barclaycard Fico Scores

MyFico is TU 98, I believe Barclay is TU 08, and CK is a FAKO.

Message 2 of 5
meehan22
Frequent Contributor

So when I apped for Barclaycard that means they saw as score closer to the one theys how than the one on MyFico i take it? 

I just dont know what score to trust more. Such of a big difference between the two. 

Wallet: Chase $6,000 - Discover $1,500 - Walmart $2,200 - Voyage FCU $1,300 - Zales $2,300 - Elan Fin: $12,500(AU, reporting) - Chase $8,500 (AU, reporting) 1% UTL
Message 3 of 5
user5387
Valued Contributor

@meehan22 wrote:

So when I apped for Barclaycard that means they saw as score closer to the one theys how than the one on MyFico i take it? 

I just dont know what score to trust more. Such of a big difference between the two. 

There are many threads here that talk about the large number of scoring models, both FICO and FAKO and customized systems used by individual lenders.

These models are commercial products, aimed at particular markets, and tailored for particular customers.  The models have been developed over a long period of time, partly in response to changing consumer behavior.

Given this, the models aren't going to match each other.

What I'd suggest is to pick a single recent version of FICO, and stick with it.  An example is the TU 08 offered by Barclay, Discover, and others.

Another approach would be to focus on the EQ 04 found on this site, given its use in the mortgage industry.

A third suggestion would be to ignore scores entirely, and instead focus on what's in your report, based on the criteria and weights used for FICO scoring.

Message 4 of 5
meehan22
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the great response. Since posting this thread this morning I have been digging through older articles on the same subject. 
It was a small initial shock and scared me, last week I was on cloud 9 with a 700 credit score and today its 70 points less on another fico model. haha. 

I like your suggestion- throw out the scores and just concentrate on the material in my reports. Smiley Happy Thanks for your insight! 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.