Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyFico is a fraud!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

MyFico is a fraud!

ATTENTION!!!

MyFico is nothing more than a scam when it comes to credit scores and credit informaiton.  DO NOT believe any claims made by MyFico stating that they are the only reliable resource for accurate information!  Do not pay anything via MyFico.com thinking you are getting accurate information.  It is simply government funded fraud!!!  Please report any viable information to the FTC!

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: MyFico is a fraud!

What are you complaining about? The reports and scores provided by myFico are 100% valid reports provided by the respective CRAs (TransUnion and Equifax). The scores provided are legitimate FICO scores as well. The only complaint that most people have is that the TU score that is sold on this site is TU-98, an older scoring model and not the same as most lenders now use (TU-04). That being said, even the Transunioncs.com website provides TU-98, so you can't do any better.

For accurate reports and true FICO scores, this is the only other place to go other than transunioncs.com or equifax.com directly.

Edit: Based on one of your other posts, it appears that you may be purchasing FAKO scores on the side (not FICO). You reported all three scores in another post, and unless you applied for a mortgage recently, the odds of having your actual EX FICO is pretty small. This could be a cause of your frustration. FAKO scores are no prediction of actual FICO scores and your FAKO scores can go up while your FICOs go way down.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 59
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

ATTENTION!!!

MyFico is nothing more than a scam when it comes to credit scores and credit informaiton.  DO NOT believe any claims made by MyFico stating that they are the only reliable resource for accurate information!  Do not pay anything via MyFico.com thinking you are getting accurate information.  It is simply government funded fraud!!!  Please report any viable information to the FTC!

You're making claims without providing anything to back them up. Sources, please?

Also: "Please report any viable information to the FTC!" -- What does that mean?

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fraud???  Surely you're confusing this site with some other site that sells FAKO's ... 

Message 4 of 59
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I think you have it a bit backward.  One of the complaints about FICO scoring is that it is almost completely unregulated.  Credit soring is not controlled by the FCRA, except for requirig accurate reporting by creditors and debt collectors.  It is not governemnt funded, and for the most part is not governmentally regulated.

Complaints to the FTC relate to specific violations of the statutory provisions of either the FCRA or the FDCPA.  FICO scores only what is posted by creditors and debt collectors to a consumer's credit file.  FICO has no control over the data that forms the basis for its scoring.  FICO scoring is not regulated by the FTC.

One of the biggest complaints about FICO scoring is that the specific criteria it uses are trade-secret, proprietary algorithms. But trade secret law is one of the pillars of intellectual property law in the U.S.  Forcing Fair Isaac disclosure of its algorithms makes no more sense than requiring Coca Cola to publish its formula for Coke, or requiring nuclear weapons labs to publish the workings of a nuclear weapon.

Message 5 of 59
marty56
Super Contributor

Honestly a clean CR with low util would produce good scores in any system and allow you to obtain credit at good rates.   While most people don't know the inner working of FICO, the rules to obtaining a good credit score are well known.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

the scam is the fact you charge money for an alleged "FREE" trial. Then lock funds from your bank account until you accept or cancel... THAT is the FRAUD...

Message 7 of 59
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Although I'm not a fan of FICO or the FAKOs out there, I would never go as far as to say they are FRAUD!  They are merely different tools using information from the same credit resources. 

I think of it like Cable TV where HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax are the Credit Bureaus because they are the ones providing the programming but NOW you have different distributors with their own different types of models such as COMCAST, DirecTV, DishNetwork, and Brighthouse -- they all pull from HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax but they give you something a little different -- not all exactly the same.  Different costs, more or less channels. 

The big misconception most people have is they believe FICO is Gospel because it was either the first or most widely used, thus, calling all others FAKE or FAKO -- they are absolutely WROOOOONNNGGG!!!  It's just a different model, so there's nothing fake or wrong about them -- just different, so I hope they get over that and truly educate newbies instead of typing FAKO.

Aside from that, anything that you agree with a FREE TRIAL, you'd better make sure that you read all of the fine print.  Most people think FREE Trial means you get something for nothing -- you better believe companies have stipulations in the fine print to make sure they make a buck off those who don't take time to read it carefully -- so I say BUYER BEWARE and if you've agreed to it, then SHAME ON YOURSELF -- stop blaming others for your own mistakes that caused your funds to be held!!!

I'm JayRizzo, Valued Contributor!!!

Message 8 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JayRizzo wrote:

The big misconception most people have is they believe FICO is Gospel because it was either the first or most widely used, thus, calling all others FAKE or FAKO -- they are absolutely WROOOOONNNGGG!!!  It's just a different model, so there's nothing fake or wrong about them -- just different, so I hope they get over that and truly educate newbies instead of typing FAKO.

Aside from that, anything that you agree with a FREE TRIAL, you'd better make sure that you read all of the fine print.  Most people think FREE Trial means you get something for nothing -- you better believe companies have stipulations in the fine print to make sure they make a buck off those who don't take time to read it carefully -- so I say BUYER BEWARE and if you've agreed to it, then SHAME ON YOURSELF -- stop blaming others for your own mistakes that caused your funds to be held!!!

JayRizzo, It's a frequent enough misconception about the standard nomenclature that it warrants correction-- The term "FAKO" is used to describe any non-FICO score. Using the term "FAKO" doesn't imply anything about anyone's understanding or misunderstanding of the "Gospel of FICO". It quickly helps us root out apples to oranges comparrisons. Unfortunately, many newbies arrive with the notion that "credit scores" are standard, and that the FAKO that they used was the one that the lender pulled... so how in the world did the number change, and vary so drastically? Or, why didn't my 860 FAKO get me the best rates? FAKOs are any scores that are not one of the flavors of FICO, here in the FICO forums.

Message 9 of 59
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@JayRizzo wrote:

Although I'm not a fan of FICO or the FAKOs out there, I would never go as far as to say they are FRAUD!  They are merely different tools using information from the same credit resources. 

I think of it like Cable TV where HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax are the Credit Bureaus because they are the ones providing the programming but NOW you have different distributors with their own different types of models such as COMCAST, DirecTV, DishNetwork, and Brighthouse -- they all pull from HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax but they give you something a little different -- not all exactly the same.  Different costs, more or less channels. 

I'm JayRizzo, Valued Contributor!!!

There absolutely is something wrong with "scores" that are not used by lenders to make decisions and are sold to consumers and yes they are fake in the sense that these companies sell these scores without fully informing the purchaser that what they are buying is basically worthless.

We educate newbies every day about what FAKO's are and how not to rely on them for accuracy and how to tell the difference between them and scores that are used by most lenders.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 10 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.