cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Myfico Equifax 797 Vs. Discover Equifax score 748?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Myfico Equifax 797 Vs. Discover Equifax score 748?

I recently applied and received a Discover more card. I checked my Equifax  score here on my fico before applying and it was 797. I applied for the Discover card on the same day, Well I got a letter with my new discover cards saying my Equifax score is 748 at the time of application. The day after the new inquiry I got a score watch alert saying my score dropped one point to 796.

My question is, why the 50 point difference between myfico and Discover? They both pulled Equifax.

-TBC

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Myfico Equifax 797 Vs. Discover Equifax score 748?

Did Discover state that their score was a FICO score, and was the scoring range 300 - 850 ?

It is possible that Discover pulled a bankcard variation of EQ FICO.   The FICO versions sold at MyFICO are "Classic" versions.

Also they might have used a newer version of FICO, like '08.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

It says your credit score Fico 748 source: Equifax and then it has the date.

TBC

Message 3 of 38
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Do you have any negative CC accounts at all showing on your CR ?   If so then I would suspect the difference is that Discover pulled an industry~specific FICO score.

If you do not then they must be using a newer FICO score model, like the 08 version....

Message 4 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

No I have zero negatives. I thought TU was the only one with different versions 98, 04 ,08.

TBC

Message 5 of 38
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Must be a newer score model.   No, the different FICO scoring models ( 98, 04, 08 ) are used across all the CRAs.

Message 6 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Boy they like to keep us guessing don't they. Well if nothing else this post may help someone in the future. 50 points is a big difference.

TBC

Message 7 of 38
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yeah I agree it is frustrating;  50 points could be a large enough difference to disqualify you if you were home shopping, or could vastly increase your interest rate for auto loans.

Message 8 of 38
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently applied and received a Discover more card. I checked my Equifax  score here on my fico before applying and it was 797. I applied for the Discover card on the same day, Well I got a letter with my new discover cards saying my Equifax score is 748 at the time of application. The day after the new inquiry I got a score watch alert saying my score dropped one point to 796.

My question is, why the 50 point difference between myfico and Discover? They both pulled Equifax.

-TBC

It's hard to say why the difference. Discover very well may pull the newest version of Equifax (It's called Beacon 9.0 by the way).

The EQ version here is the older Beacon 5.0. Or it could be some kind of credit card enhanced version of EQ.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 9 of 38
jello77
Contributor

This issue of two very different FICO scores reported at the same time seriously confused me until I learned about all the different FICO variations.

Based on my understanding of it, here is a summary of the FICO variations:

There are three different FICO "editions" currently in common use: 98, 04, and 08

Each edition has a "classic" version, plus several "industry enhanced" sub-versions for different types of lenders such as credit cards, insurance, mortgage, and auto loans.

Each credit agency (Transunion, Equifax, and Experian) uses a customized version of each FICO edition and each classic and industry sub-version.

Each edition and each sub-version from each credit agency will result in a different score.

Transunion scores purchased from MyFICO use the "classic" version of Transunion's customized version of the 98 FICO edition (commonly called TU-98).

Equifax scores purchased from MyFICO use the "classic" version of Equifax's customized version of the 04 FICO edition (Equifax calls this Beacon 5.0).

Most lenders are said to currently use the 04 edition of FICO. Some still use the 98 edition, and very few use the 08 edition.

Walmart provides its credit card users with a free monthly update of their Transunion FICO score using the 08 edition. But Walmart does not use the 08 edition is making credit decisions.

Citibank recently announced it was planning to change from the 04 edition to the 08 edition, and Chase said it was also considering changing to the 08 edition.

In addition to all the FICO variations described above, there is also a "NextGen" edition of FICO. It uses a scale of 150 to 950 and was introduced by FICO as a major improvement over all previous editions. But it has been adopted by few if any lenders.

EQ-04 FICO__804__(from DCU)__inquiries = 0
EQ-08 FICO__826__(from MyFICO)__inquiries = 0
EX-98 FICO__837__(from PSECU)__inquiries = 0
EX-08 FICO__813__(from MyFICO)__inquiries = 0
TU-08 FICO__820__(from MyFICO)__inquiries = 0
Oldest account 36 yrs / Newest account 2 years / Average age 12 yrs / Total accounts 10 / Accounts reporting balance = 2 / Util = 3%
Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.