Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery score increase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mystery score increase

I just got an email notification saying that my score has changed based on transunion data.  So I logged in and it shows a 5 point increase.  Does anyone know if there is a way to tell what caused this increase?  I have  the "FICO ultimate 3B" subscription.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mystery score increase

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got an email notification saying that my score has changed based on transunion data.  So I logged in and it shows a 5 point increase.  Does anyone know if there is a way to tell what caused this increase?  I have  the "FICO ultimate 3B" subscription.

Thanks!

It could be anything. Did a late payment Age? Did your accounts report eariler this month? have you recently reduced your Utilization rate significantly? 

Message 2 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

The Transunion monitoring has a backup of if the score has changed they'll just send an update if it wasn't already triggered.

TU is pretty good at balance changes, inquiries, and new accounts... but the rest, not so much; as a result you'll sometimes get a FICO score update.  Inquiry falling out of scoring range, AAOA change, deletion of record or change in dispute status have all done that for me personally with TU.  

Actually when I think about it I like the TU monitoring here pretty well, notification that there was a change, is still pretty excellent and I don't get that level of detail from either EQ or EX: on each of those updates just get rolled up into the next one which makes it more confusing.

Before and after snapshots of your credit report are really the only good method for determining it, or at least knowing what's on your file in terms of age in some cases.  I use Credit Karma for that personally for regular report access to TU / EQ.

        
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get detailed notifications for every alert from equifax and experian.....transunion alerts just sas score has changed......with no reason why......doesn't say Balance change etc.....just random without explanations
Message 4 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I get detailed notifications for every alert from equifax and experian.....transunion alerts just sas score has changed......with no reason why......doesn't say Balance change etc.....just random without explanations

3 different monitoring products bundled together.

TU you'll get alerts of "total mortgage balance changed" or "total credit card balance changed" (or store card, or other such groupings) and you can figure it out based on looking at EQ's laudable balance tracking, but that's admittedly a bit of a hassle.  I still do like the notification that my score changed though, I can go pull a report to find out exact details... especially on TU with so many different free report / data access providers on that bureau.

        
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah but equifax and experian both alert you AND give u details......

That's what OP was getting at
Message 6 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah but equifax and experian both alert you AND give u details......

That's what OP was getting at

I know, but for Transunion the fact we get these scores which aren't tied to a discrete change, means we actually get better coverage for tracking FICO purposes.

For both EX / EQ things like a tax lien's being removed, just get rolled up in the next balance change... whereas TU might give me a "Your score changed!" without it looking like I gained 26 points for my Chase FU balance increasing from $0 to $182.

I can figure out the specific balance change on TU from the EQ/EX data though I agree it's annoying to have to do so.

        
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.