Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Clarification

tag
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

Need Clarification

I have the following account....The charged off amount was only around 800 dollars (for fees and other items) but GMAC has offered 300 or so to settle it.  Is there any advantage of paying it other than getting the title to this vehicle?  Is there a disadvantage?  They indicated they'll update to the CRA but I'm not sure that I would want that.

Vehicle Loan AccountGmac

Status as ofDate opened [?]Date of last activity [?]Account number [?]Terms [?]Account Type [?]Account holder [?]Industry
Jul, 2011
Aug, 2003
Feb, 2009
XXXXXX6034
(60 Months)
Installment
Individual
Auto Financing
Descriptions [?]
  • Charged off account
  • Auto

No contact information provided by Equifax

Balance [?] Current Status [?]
$0Bad debt/collection
Seven year payment history [?]30 days late60 days late90+ days late
0 times
0 times
0 times
Worst Delinquency [?]
None Reported

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need Clarification

They haven't appeared to update for 2 years, so if they do, it could cause a few points drop.  But it would be paid/settled and gone.  Then you could GW them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Kinda confusing from the CR information provided.

They have reported a current balance of $0, which implies that they no longer own the debt.

That would explain absence of recent reporting

If they no longer own the debt, they cannot accept any payment  Thus, they would be unable to offer a settlement.

Can you clariify as to whether they stlill own the debt, and if so, why they reported a $0 debt balance to the CRA?

Message 3 of 7
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Kinda confusing from the CR information provided.

They have reported a current balance of $0, which implies that they no longer own the debt.

That would explain absence of recent reporting

If they no longer own the debt, they cannot accept any payment  Thus, they would be unable to offer a settlement.

Can you clariify as to whether they stlill own the debt, and if so, why they reported a $0 debt balance to the CRA?

I put everything I know in my post.  GMAC/Ally Financial is directly offering the settlement.  AFAIK it has never been sent to collections.  No collection agency has reported on it that's for sure.  It's an unusual situation which is why i posted it.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

My approach would be to try and negotiate a PFD arrrangement, to get them to delete the account in exchange for payment.

Since it is a charged off account, it's hurting your FICO score, plus as Shogun mentioned, it might get updated when they note your payment, which will drop your score.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I agree with the approach posted by Shogun for  acouple of reasons.. One I doubt if you can get PFD out of this. Secondly, yes there is a potential drop in the score if you pay it, but a new collection account being reported  would hurt more than the potential drop in my opinion. Lastly the debt is paid off and it will eventully fall off the report at some point in time.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 7
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

as a follow up, i called GMAC/Ally and asked some questions.  They said for these write offs they do they don't refer to outside agencies and if i wanted to wait until after I closed I can.  So that's what I'll do.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.