cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need More Types Of Credits..What Else Is There?

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need More Types Of Credits..What Else Is There?

I concur that opening an install loan simply to improve credit mix gives little, and FIairIsaac has stated the same in their webinars.  Credit mix is only 10% of FICO.  Opening a new install loan will lead to an immdiate new inqu, a drop in avg age of accounts, and a 100% util on that loan.  Not a very rewarding tradeoff in other areas of FICO scoring.
Also remember that creidtors often do a manual review of  your CR, and not just a scan of your scores.  If you are worried about a creditor having concerns about your proven risk in payment history on installment loans, and you have prior closed in good standing loans on your report, that should fully satisfy any concern in that area.
Message 11 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Great suimmary, Hauling.  Of particular significance to me is your distinction between a home equity loan as intallment, and a HELOC as revolving.  Excellent point to keep in mind when it comes to credt scoring!

Message 12 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@RobertEG wrote:
Great suimmary, Hauling.  Of particular significance to me is your distinction between a home equity loan as intallment, and a HELOC as revolving.  Excellent point to keep in mind when it comes to credt scoring!
Why, thank you! But just to complicate things, if the credit limit on the HELOC is high --probably $40K+; definitely $50K+ --its util is figured as installment, not revolving. So the credit type (for mix) is revolving, but the credit type on a big one (for util) is installment. Simultaneously. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 14
Lucid08
Regular Contributor

I may be the odd man out here, but in response to the OP's question; it all comes down to what his or her scores currently are, and what their future plans are where getting a mortgage or auto loan are concerned.

That extra 10 percent could make a nice difference in that regard. Most credit unions and banks offer very low interest and no inquiry types of secured loans that can be used just for this purpose. I took out a $300 loan at my workplace CU and repaid it over 6 months and only paid 12 dollars in interest over the life of the loan. While the CL isnt high, it does do a LOT to your credit score in a short amount of time, and even in the case of a manual review it still looks good to have this type of account showing on your reports.

Just my .02 cents Smiley Happy
EQUIFAX - 640 1/05/12 - Goal of 720 by Mid May!
Transunion - 637 - 01/15/10
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.