Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need large increase in FICO score

tag
Kbrown1022
Valued Member

Need large increase in FICO score

I am trying to apply for a mortgage and my FICO score sucks right now! All around 606 right now. My utilization ratio is 79% for all cards. Most of the cards are close to maxed out. I recently came into some money and can pay the majority of it off. Credit utilization should be between 10-20%. I also have some pesky medical collections that are paid but I cannot get them removed. How much do you think paying down credit card debt will help me? Minimum score I need is 680. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Need large increase in FICO score

@Kbrown1022 wrote:

I am trying to apply for a mortgage and my FICO score sucks right now! All around 606 right now. My utilization ratio is 79% for all cards. Most of the cards are close to maxed out. I recently came into some money and can pay the majority of it off. Credit utilization should be between 10-20%. I also have some pesky medical collections that are paid but I cannot get them removed. How much do you think paying down credit card debt will help me? Minimum score I need is 680. 

Welcome to the forum 

Paying down UTL will help a lot 

Can't say it will get you to the 680 mark but you should see a good increase 

If you could get the medical CO removed by way of GW then I would say you would be in much better shape 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 5
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

+1. I agree that paying down UTIL will help a lot, but with the collections it will be hard to get too high. I would also send GW letters / emails. Gettings those off in conjunction with UTIL going down would be a big boost.

Message 3 of 5
Kbrown1022
Valued Member

I also just noticed an old debt from 2011 got bought by a new company and just showed up on my report. I assume that's hurting me pretty bad? My husband has old collections on his and his score is 664. Our vantage scores were really close but my FICO is 100 points lower than vantage. I paid for deletion on that account, so once that's removed should I see a boost?

Message 4 of 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Kbrown1022 wrote:

I also just noticed an old debt from 2011 got bought by a new company and just showed up on my report. I assume that's hurting me pretty bad? My husband has old collections on his and his score is 664. Our vantage scores were really close but my FICO is 100 points lower than vantage. I paid for deletion on that account, so once that's removed should I see a boost?

Yes that will help some 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.