Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative-Immeidate/Positive-Delayed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Negative-Immeidate/Positive-Delayed

Can someone tell me why a "negative" credit event is picked up immediately but a "positive" credit event seemlingly takes forever to show up with the bureaus?

My example:  A charge on a specific credit card showed up almost immediately with my Experian and MyFico alerts...but I'm still waiting for two complete credit card "payoffs" to showup on the same E and MF alerts?  Looking at the report for the recently charged card shows the company doesn't even report to the bureaus until month end.  This makes no sense to me.  I was assuming that my two "payoffs" would have shown up just as fast.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Negative-Immeidate/Positive-Delayed

It's all about the timing.  You probably charged on a card that was about to report to the credit bureau's.  Most lenders report your statement balance.  In order to avoid having balances report, you want to pay off a card before the new statement cuts.  You want to leave 1 card reporting small balance of less than 9%.  In order to do that, you don't pay off the card before the statement date, you just pay it down to the amount that you want to report.  

I hope that makes sense!  

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

As the previously reply mentioned, this all has to do with the timing of when your creditors report to the bureaus.  It doesn't have anything to do with the event being positive or negative. 

If your creditor reports on the 23rd of the month, if you have something change on your account a week before that, be it positive or negative, you'll likely see it in a week.  If you change something on your account a week after the 23rd, be it positive or negative, you'll likely be waiting 3 weeks to see that update as you have to wait for the 23rd to roll around again.

Message 3 of 4
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can someone tell me why a "negative" credit event is picked up immediately but a "positive" credit event seemlingly takes forever to show up with the bureaus?

My example:  A charge on a specific credit card showed up almost immediately with my Experian and MyFico alerts...but I'm still waiting for two complete credit card "payoffs" to showup on the same E and MF alerts?  Looking at the report for the recently charged card shows the company doesn't even report to the bureaus until month end.  This makes no sense to me.  I was assuming that my two "payoffs" would have shown up just as fast.

Which card did you add the charge to? Was that a Chase card that was at a zero balance prior to the new charge?

The addition of a charge on a credit card, regular spend, is not a "negative", it is simply a transaction that may reduce your score due to utilization percentages. A negative is a missed payment or some more severe form of missed payment.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.