cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Item Expiration question

tag
Leo1978

Negative Item Expiration question

Hi all.  I am need of a new car and trying to delay for a few more points on my credit score.  I have multiple negative items just about 7 years old (2 repos and a SL collection).  With the negative items all being June 2007, should I expect removal at the beginning of June 2014 or at the end.  I know it is only 30 days, but it makes a difference for my care purchase at this point since my family is expanding very soon.  Also, could I expect to get above 700 being at 693 before the removal?

Starting Score: 679EQ FICO 4/2014
Current Score: 717 EQ FICO, 710 TU FICO, 743 EX VT3.0 Credit.com 6/2014
Goal Score: 750+ FICO for all 3 by 12/2014

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: Negative Item Expiration question

@Leo1978 wrote:

Hi all.  I am need of a new car and trying to delay for a few more points on my credit score.  I have multiple negative items just about 7 years old (2 repos and a SL collection).  With the negative items all being June 2007, should I expect removal at the beginning of June 2014 or at the end.  I know it is only 30 days, but it makes a difference for my care purchase at this point since my family is expanding very soon.  Also, could I expect to get above 700 being at 693 before the removal?

I believe your score would bump up enough to get into the 700s, mainly because of the repo's are major derogs that are still hurting your score. If they were just 30 day lates then it would be a toss up. 

I would dispute the negative TLs immediately once they hit 7 years. I say this because the CRA has up to 7.5 years to remove the TLs. So, once they hit 7 years, either call the CRA directly or dispute them under cause of they shuold be deleted.

Message 2 of 5
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Leo1978 wrote:

Are you counting 7 years from the date of the original delinquency, or 7 years from the date it went to collection?  At any rate, dispute and request the removal first week of June.  Here's the online addresses for your convenience: 

Experian

http://www.experian.com/disputes/main.html

TransUnion

https://dispute.transunion.com/dp/dispute/landingPage.jsp?src=disclosure

Equifax

https://www.ai.equifax.com/CreditInvestigation/home.action

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Message 3 of 5
Leo1978

I am counting from the date of first delinquency.  Thanks for the advice.

Message 4 of 5
Leo1978

I got an interesting result.  Equifax updated automatically and removed the negatives as of this morning.  My FICO jumped from 693 to 717.  Experian and Transunion are both lame.  Transunion removed one expired account automatically, but not the other two even though they all happened at the same time.  Crazy!!!  Experian removed one, but not the third.  What are they doing.  I initiated my disputes this morning, but what a waste of my time to have to tell them to correct their records.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.