Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Public Records and the Effect on FICO Scoring

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Negative Public Records and the Effect on FICO Scoring

After viewing my latest CR's it seems as if every negative has finally dropped from all my credit reports. Nothing is left as the 7 year period is over finally. So I just have an empty BK folder and a paid for state tax lien. BK is 7 years old and the state lien is 5 since satisfied. How much effect do they now have on my scores and have they lessened over time? I am still trying to get my head around this. anyone have any idea how they factor the age of these two negatives into scoring. I don't imagine I will get much score increase the day they drop from my reports.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Mindnumb
New Contributor

Re: Negative Public Records and the Effect on FICO Scoring

I don't know what this tells you but my scores are 651, 635 & 611.

The 651 has my only charge off from 2003
The 635 has a my only public record, a federal tax lien paid in 2000
The 611 has no liens or charge offs, only the multiple lates that are shown in all three reports.

My only explanation is I'm classified with a less credit worthy group with the charge off and tax lien, and when the tax lien falls off, that score will also drop.
Message 2 of 9
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

smallfry wrote:
After viewing my latest CR's it seems as if every negative has finally dropped from all my credit reports. Nothing is left as the 7 year period is over finally. So I just have an empty BK folder and a paid for state tax lien. BK is 7 years old and the state lien is 5 since satisfied. How much effect do they now have on my scores and have they lessened over time? I am still trying to get my head around this. anyone have any idea how they factor the age of these two negatives into scoring. I don't imagine I will get much score increase the day they drop from my reports.

The BK and Lien are still hurting you. Luckily, derogs have less of an impact on your score as time goes by.
Message 3 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I knew they were still damaging the score just wondered how much.
Message 4 of 9
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Hard to say.. the more positive TLs you have to counteract the better.
Message 5 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Not many. Car loan just purchased in December so high utilization if that matters on that type of debt. Capone CC 5K high balance zero balance. Walmart CC 500 limit zero balance. 6th Avenue line of credit 4200 with zero balance. Worked same place nearly 35 years same residence 6 years. Now have no debt except for car loan nearly 25K. Only negs are 7 year old BK and 5 year old state tax lien paid. Thin jacket to be sure.
Message 6 of 9
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

What are your current scores?
Message 7 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Tuscani wrote:

EQ...680 EX...690 TU...690
Message 8 of 9
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

@smallfry wrote:

@Tuscani wrote:

EQ...680 EX...690 TU...690

Not bad at all.. You just need more tradelines. You should be able to get:

Target
Walmart
Macys
Nordstroms
Bloomingdales
State Farm Visa
Hooters Card
Juniper

Not saying you should get all of them, but you should have no trouble getting approved with y our scores.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.