copprtop99

New Card Causes Score Loss, Can I Close the Account and Get Those Points Back?

A year ago I bough a new-to-me home and last spring I went looking for a small tractor. I was given 10% off if I got a Home Depot card. Well, they only gave me $500 limit and since then my score has gone from 727 to 698 becuase I have 'too many low limit cards', too many as in 2 with $500, the other being a Target card and Target is not increasing limits. Target is a card I've had for 7 years so I don't want to lose it.

I also noted that the Home Depot card was listed as a 'finance company' negative by Equifax. Hmmm, Citibank is a finance company????

I have a zero balance on this card and was wondering if I closed it would I get my lost points back?

My overall CC util stays between 15-20% with 1/2 having no balances and I would be losing a card with only 7 months history on it so my average card age would actually increase, wouldn't it?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Shogun

Re: New Card Causes Score Loss, Can I Close the Account and Get Those Points Back?

Wouldln't raise it.  It would just lower your available credit and raise your util and drop your score.

Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!
Valued Contributor
GregB

Re: New Card Causes Score Loss, Can I Close the Account and Get Those Points Back?

The damage was done a year ago.

Best to keep it since it will start helping you soon if it hasn't already.

I started seeing that "finance company" notation on some reports for HD around a year ago. My limit at HD is $13,500. It doesn't seem to do much damage and I'm assuming it will eventually get fixed. I am sure anyone looking at the report knows a HD card is a normal store card, not as 'good' as a regular CC but not consumer finance either.

Senior Contributor
Booner72

Have you asked for a CLI from them?  Do you use the card and PIF?  if you have regularly used and paid you should be due a CLI.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+