Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Credit--Applying for Mortgage and Auto Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Credit--Applying for Mortgage and Auto Loan

I recently started rebuiliding my credit after 11 years of inactivity.    All my bad information---Chapter 7 discharge (2006) and Federal Tax Liens--have dropped off  and do not appear on any report.

I got FICO 8 scores of 696-EQ, 720-TU and 717 EX with a Capital One (7 mos.--500 limit) and Credit One (4 mos).  I recently applied for and got a Discover Card with a $ 1000 limit.  All payments have been timely and my credit utilization is being reported as 4 %.  I have been approved for a  15 year home equity loan on a home I inherited based on those FICO scores at a 3.875% rate.  At the present time I have 0 debt and 150K in annual income.  

I want to apply for an auto loan with a local credit union, but plan to wait until after the home equity loan closes.  I just learned that my EQ score decreased to 683 and my TU score to 718, I assume because of the new account and the mortgage inquiry.   The mortgage payment will be made through auto-debit on a Schwab investment account and will always be timely.    I have no need for credit cards and have used those I have only to establish a FICO score in order to get the home equity loan which I have apparently accomplished.   I anticipate the usage will remain under 10%,   I want  the auto loan simply to have one on my history and to avoid a large cash outlay.

I suspect my scores are going to go down with the large outlays, but I anticipate that a perfect payment history and no new credit during the next three years will take care of the initial drop.  Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Credit--Applying for Mortgage and Auto Loan

You mention a plan to keep your total credit card utilization at under 10%.  Actually you want to keep it at under 8.99%.

I like your idea of waiting till everything stabilizes with the new loan.  Until then it's probably a good idea to use each card for something small once per month, allow the card to report a positive statement balance, and then pay it in full a week after the statement prints.

The only tweak to that would be in the 40 days before you apply for the auto loan (or any other application for credit).  During that run-up to the app, keep all your cards at a zero balance except one (All Zero Except One or AZEO) with the remaining balance a small positive number, like $10 say.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Credit--Applying for Mortgage and Auto Loan

Thanks for the tips.   

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.