Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Credit Card and FICO Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Credit Card and FICO Score

I am from Canada.

I had a loan of $10,000 and paid in full, now a $18,000.00 car loan about half paid. 

I have a Visa credit card (oldest card) and it has a limit of $3000.00 at 9.9% APR, revolving balance $1000.

I have a Master Card with the limit of $4000.00 at 22.99% APR balance $0.

These are the two cards on my 3.5 years old credit history. When I checked my score in April 2009, it was 748.

I want to get a low interest Master Card, if better cancel this high interest Master Card. I am wondering how will this affect my credit score and chance of mortgage approval, because I am planning to buy a house in the next 6 months?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: New Credit Card and FICO Score

Keep all your cards open use a little and always pay in full every month. Let a small balance report on 1 card. If you don't need the credit don't apply for anything right now. Matter of fact with a mortgage looming definitely don't apply for anything. Don't close any of your cards. 
Message Edited by smallfry on 07-13-2009 05:43 AM
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: New Credit Card and FICO Score

I concur. 
The high interest rate on the Master card is meaningless to you if you PIF each month.  If you cancel it, you will lose its CL in your %util calculation, and also its age in your AAoA.

There is NO reason to cancel that card.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.