Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Here and want to buy a house with score 684

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Here and want to buy a house with score 684

Hi Everyone,

I don't really know how this whole thing worksI've always been really responsible and never had a single late payment on anything and for that reason I thought I would have a better scoreBut here are my problems, from what I understandFirst, I was stupid and co-signed on two loans for an ex-friend who had three late payments, one was 120 days lateI was out of the country and wasn't notified until too lateSecond, I took out a car loan three months ago for 8,000 (well, with all the interest if I only pay the minimum it will be 11,000 in the end - which is what shows on the report).  Finally, I only have one credit card with a limit of 4,500, and I currently owe 3,500.

After reading a bit I guess it helps your score to have more open cards, but at the same time it hurts to open new accountsSo, my questions is, if my husband and I want to buy a house next year, what can we do to improve my scoreShould I open some more accountsAlso - How much are those co-signed late payments hurting meHow much will me score improve when the card is paid down more?

Thank in advance for your comments!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: New Here and want to buy a house with score 684

You stated that were late payments on a cosigend car loan. How long agoe did this occur ? One thing you could do to help your score is lower your credit card debt /utilization to under 10% is what FICO likes. You would get some increase at under 50% credit utilization. The top two score reasons on your credit report is what impacting your score either positively or negatively.
FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Who was the lender on the loan with the lates? You can try asking for GW (goodwill), asking/ begging that they not report the lates, as you were a co-signer and were never notified that the loan was delinquent. Is it current now? Or paid off? Are you still on the hook for it?

Otherwise, that $3500 balance on a $4500 CC is HUGE. That needs to get paid down to $400 max, ideally less.

As AndySoCal said, look at one of your FICO score reports. (Not reports from TrueCredit, or freecreditreport-dot-com, etc. etc.) On a FICO score report, whether from Equifax or TransUnion, screen 2 shows the negative factors that are hurting your score. The first one listed hurts you the most, and then the rest in descending order.

I'm guessing that you'll see presence of a serious derogatory (the 120), high revolving utilization, and insufficient revolving credit, in one order or another. Start going after those before apping for new credit. You'll get much better deals. Smiley Wink

If you haven't already, please read Understanding Your FICO ® Score and Credit Scoring 101 (at least the first post.)

These will give you the background knowledge you need to understand what you read here on the forums.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 4
MattH
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Hi, welcome to the forums!

Who was the lender on the loan with the lates? You can try asking for GW (goodwill), asking/ begging that they not report the lates, as you were a co-signer and were never notified that the loan was delinquent. Is it current now? Or paid off? Are you still on the hook for it?

Otherwise, that $3500 balance on a $4500 CC is HUGE. That needs to get paid down to $400 max, ideally less.

As AndySoCal said, look at one of your FICO score reports. (Not reports from TrueCredit, or freecreditreport-dot-com, etc. etc.) On a FICO score report, whether from Equifax or TransUnion, screen 2 shows the negative factors that are hurting your score. The first one listed hurts you the most, and then the rest in descending order.

I'm guessing that you'll see presence of a serious derogatory (the 120), high revolving utilization, and insufficient revolving credit, in one order or another. Start going after those before apping for new credit. You'll get much better deals. Smiley Wink

If you haven't already, please read Understanding Your FICO ® Score and Credit Scoring 101 (at least the first post.)

These will give you the background knowledge you need to understand what you read here on the forums.

All very good advice.  Two other tools that can help you learn are the Simulator and the Fico Score Estimator.  If you purchase a report from MyFico then you can use the Simulator to experiment with possible scenarios, based on your report.  With or without a report from here you can use the Estimator here to estimate your score based on information you provide.  Neither is exact, but each is useful.  The Simulator is somewhat more accurate because it is based on an actual report.  The Estimator is less accurate, but it allows a wider range of scenarios than does the Simulator.  Time spent fiddling around with both will teach you a lot about how FICO scoring works in your circumstances.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.