Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Scoring Bucket

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Scoring Bucket

At the beginning of October, I reached my 7 year credit history mark.  As a result, my "Length of credit history" moved from orange to yellow (not good to good).  As a result, my score which was previously at 742, dropped to 728. 

I'm assuming this is due to being dropped into a new scoring bucket which I'll need to build up a little bit with time.  I'm planning on applying for a mortage this spring, will this improve my overall credit application (I assume it would)? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Scoring Bucket

Congrats on increasing your AAofA.

Ours is taking a little bit of a beating right now, so I'm a tad jealous.  We've dropped into the five year range and it will take us two years to get to where you are now!

When we app'd for our mortgage, there was no commentary about our AAofA - whether it was good or bad.  It varied (DH's varied from 3-6 years, depending on CRA; and I varied from 7-9 years).   Our mortgage guy is FICO-savvy (he teaches Increase Your FICO classes); and he was more concerned about types of accounts we had open - we had to have one bank/national cc account open - which we did - in the midst of CU and store accounts.

The biggest plus to your new bucket, if that's what it is (seems likely to me), is that your range becomes higher - so your potential score in your new "older" bucket would be higher than your potential score in the "younger"  bucket.

There are some moves that will increase your score in time for your mortgage app (your AAofA will still be 7 at that point).

Are you checking your mix?  Your number of accounts reporting a balance?  Your individual and overall utilization?

All of those things can have a significant impact on your FICO score.

Best wishes on that mortgage app - I love the current rates - who woulda thunk?

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.