Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New auto loan Hard fico hit.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New auto loan Hard fico hit.

I recently got a auto loan for 13,000 my equafax fico was 670 it dipped to 612 just go tthe loan last month. how many months does it take to bounce back , i want to get a home in thenext 12 to 18 months. will it be back up by then? no collection, new tradelines,and a few credti cards close to 80% util. not sure what i should do..just wait?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
EW800
Valued Contributor

Re: New auto loan Hard fico hit.

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently got a auto loan for 13,000 my equafax fico was 670 it dipped to 612 just go tthe loan last month. how many months does it take to bounce back , i want to get a home in thenext 12 to 18 months. will it be back up by then? no collection, new tradelines,and a few credti cards close to 80% util. not sure what i should do..just wait?

I do not classify myself as an expert, but I would say that having "a few credit cards close to 80% util" is really doing the number on your scores.  Do you have the means to get that down, at least below 50%, but more ideally below 30% and then 10%?  

I could be wrong, but unless your debt to income is looking real good, I am not sure that taking out the $13,000 auto loan was the best thing to do if you are planning on buying a home in the next 12 months.  Debt to Income, and overall debt in general play very heavily when it comes to going after a home, so you want to have those ducts in line, big time.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. They will below 10% by then. Just wondering how long the new installment loan be positive and not negative to my fico

Message 3 of 7
EW800
Valued Contributor

I think every profile is different, however from my experience I believe I have seen that just a couple or a few months of positive history can have a positive impact on scores.  Thinking back, in my case I believe it was most always six months of good behavior.  YMMV obviously.

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't they say not to get a auto loan if you plan on getting new house in the near future?
Message 5 of 7
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Just get your util down. That's what's killing you. Getting util below 5% but not 0 will improve your scores the most and you should be well above 670.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Two things impacted your score.

The inquiry made to approve the loan, and the reduction in AAoA.

If you also had changes in other areas, such as % util, they will also be factored in.

The new inq will no longer count in scoring after one year, and your AAoA will recover slightly as it ages.

After a year, a lot of the scoring impact should be gone.

New account inpact is minimal when compared to % util, so if you get that down, your score will almost assuredly be higher than prior to your new loan.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.