Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New card impact on score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New card impact on score

I know a card is considered new until it hits 2 years, but does it still hit those "2 years" if I close it at 15 months? I want to close my old merrick card, but I'd prefer to not keep a "new" card on file for 10 years. Does what I'm asking even make sense? Or does it obviously continue to age regardless. I know Aaoa isn't affected but I feel like I read somewhere you shouldn't close an account until it hits two years
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New card impact on score

@Anonymous wrote:
I know a card is considered new until it hits 2 years, but does it still hit those "2 years" if I close it at 15 months? I want to close my old merrick card, but I'd prefer to not keep a "new" card on file for 10 years. Does what I'm asking even make sense? Or does it obviously continue to age regardless. I know Aaoa isn't affected but I feel like I read somewhere you shouldn't close an account until it hits two years

Close the card and don't worry about it if you don't want it.  You don't have to leave credit open for 2 years for optimal scoring, and the 2 year mark is nowhere close to confirmed anyway other than some people theorizing one couldn't get an 850 with an account within the last 2 years and then IIRC that got debunked.

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.