Valued Contributor
tcbofade

New credit ding?

I did some searching and found a few older threads with varying opnions on this one, but if memory serves, I think I remember a penalty of sorts negatively affecting one's Fico score for some time after opening a new account.

As it's been about five months since I last opened an account, I'm hoping for a score bump sometime next month...

Does that sound right?

Current Scores: EX 671 (FCR) TU08: 648 Wally (TU08). 08/29/14 Last app 05/29/2014.
Gardening until 01 November 2014.
(Thou shalt not app, thou shalt not app, thou shalt not app...)
Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Valued Member
Homeowner13

Re: New credit ding?

Your ding on your score has to do with a few things. First of all it is a credit inquiry, having those will lower your score. Second, New accounts lower your account age average. Lastly If you carry a balance it could lower your score due to Credit Utilization. So to say it will come right back on a set time frame is hard to say. After I have opened accounts it has taken between 6 months to a year to come all the way back! My credit history is long so a new card doesn't afftect my credit age much. If you are new to credit then a new cc could cut your age in half. 

My opinion  around 6 months you should start to see the increase again.

Hope that helps!

Good Luck

Starting Score: 719
Current Score: 809
Goal Score: 825

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Shogun

+1  Typically you will see an initial ding, however it's necessary to develop new positive TLs that will allow your scores to grow.

Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!
Frequent Contributor
Roarmeister

FWIW, I applied for 2 cards last July 30 and added some additional debt as well as lowered by utilization %.  My Equifax score went from 800 to 761.  It was only last week that my score started to come back up and even then it was 1 measly point.  :smileyhappy:  I expect it will take most of the year to bounce back.

AMEX_PlatinumBMOWorldMCCapOnePlatinumMBNA_Platinum+ScotiaMomentum
____$25k_______$20k_______$20k_______$25k_______$25k____
Starting Score: 676 Feb 2008; Current Score: 782 EQ, 814 TU, August 2014; Goal Score: 800 by end of year
Oldest Account reported by EQ: 12 years; EQ AAoA: 5.4 years; EQ Credit Utilization: 3.9%

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+