Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New credit ding?

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

New credit ding?

I did some searching and found a few older threads with varying opnions on this one, but if memory serves, I think I remember a penalty of sorts negatively affecting one's Fico score for some time after opening a new account.

As it's been about five months since I last opened an account, I'm hoping for a score bump sometime next month...

Does that sound right?

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Homeowner13
Valued Member

Re: New credit ding?

Your ding on your score has to do with a few things. First of all it is a credit inquiry, having those will lower your score. Second, New accounts lower your account age average. Lastly If you carry a balance it could lower your score due to Credit Utilization. So to say it will come right back on a set time frame is hard to say. After I have opened accounts it has taken between 6 months to a year to come all the way back! My credit history is long so a new card doesn't afftect my credit age much. If you are new to credit then a new cc could cut your age in half. 

My opinion  around 6 months you should start to see the increase again.

Hope that helps!

Good Luck

Starting Score: 719
Current Score: 809
Goal Score: 825

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  Typically you will see an initial ding, however it's necessary to develop new positive TLs that will allow your scores to grow.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 4
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

FWIW, I applied for 2 cards last July 30 and added some additional debt as well as lowered by utilization %.  My Equifax score went from 800 to 761.  It was only last week that my score started to come back up and even then it was 1 measly point.  Smiley Happy  I expect it will take most of the year to bounce back.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.