Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New credit impact decay

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New credit impact decay

I lost 11 points because of opening a new CC in September. I know that the inquiry didn't cost me anything and the AAoA was unaffected, so all of the lost points were attributable simply to the newness of credit.

Today (Dec 1), my myFICO report would say "Your newest account was opened 3 months ago", but my score is unchanged from yesterday. I don't know what the decay pattern of the impact of new credit is, but you should not necessarily expect a score increase exactly at the 3 month point.

I am now waiting to see if there is a score increase when my third statement cuts in a couple weeks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New credit impact decay

Whenever I lost points, I didn't start seeing gains until the 4-6 (closer to 6) month range. Then I would see a gain again around 1 year if I didn't the full return of points between the 4-6 month period.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks llecs. Do you remember if the increase was at a specific time, e.g., on the first of a month or when a new statement posted, or at seemingly random times?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My third statement just cut and the new credit impact has still not decayed a bit. So, it is safe to say that you should not expect anything to change exactly after 3 months of opening a new account.

Message 4 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

My third statement just cut and the new credit impact has still not decayed a bit. So, it is safe to say that you should not expect anything to change exactly after 3 months of opening a new account.

This is just your experience and may or may not be what happens with someone else because each of our situations is unique.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.