Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
New Visitor

New to Message Board - Need Help Increasing Credit Score

Hello

I must say this message board has a great deal of information and can be overwhelming for someone just starting.  But I am determined to improve my credit score.  First thing I would like to say is my report reflects so many different things I don't know where to begin.  I fell on hard times and had a period when I was behind on various almost everything that would effect my report.  I am now in an excellent financial place and back on track.  My approach was to just pay everything I owed on my report.  However, that has not provided any increase in my score.  I also was trying to put myself in a postion to purchase a home and lenders looked at my report and all had the same advice "continue to pay things off on your report".  That I did, and again no improvement! 

I have many collection accounts and charge-off's and I know that is going to be there for a while.  I wish I knew about this forum when paying thing off.  I would have requested a PFD instead of just asking them to update the reporting agencies that the account has been paid.

First of many issues...

I paid a settlement to Capital One on a card that was reproting a charged off status .  My report now says current status is CHARGE-OFF, but in the comments field it says Settlement accepted on this account.  Should the current status reflect paid?  How does a senerio like this effect my score?  I know this is a lot of info for a new visiter but...... I NEED HELP..
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New to Message Board - Need Help Increasing Credit Score

Welcome... The first thing you should do is read the Credit Scoring 101 thread and dispute inaccuracies son your reports.

Try a GW letter for any paid collections or charge offs.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.