Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie trying to build credit from the ground up

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie trying to build credit from the ground up

Hey guys,

I'm late to the credit card game. I tried signing up for two credit cards in the past 7 months and was denied both times, which prompted me to check my credit scores and found out that I had a thin file.

I've been working for the past 3 years but 99% of the time I just used my chase debit card. My dad did make me an authorized user of one of his cards lonnnnnnnng time ago which I still use very sparsely (once every 6-7 months)  and then only for small things (ie usually a tank of gas). After seeing my credit scores/lack of credit I signed up for a secured card since I couldn't find a traditional card that would accept me. It's got a 250 dollar limit that I pay off entirely every month once payment is due. 

It's been about 5 months since I've had the capital one secured card and these are my current scores: 

Transunion: 591

Equifax: 626

Capital one gave me a free credit montior as well. I have 100% on time payment, oldest credit line is 37 years (from my dad) and I have one new account (secured capital card)..... all these earned me an "A" grade in those categories. It looks like I'm getting dinged in 3 areas: Credit utiliazation (33%), Recent Inquiries (4- two of them were for new credit cards that I got denied, one was for credit check when renting this apartment, and not quite sure what that last one was, maybe another credit card I tried to sign up) and Available credit (14k). Capital one gave me a C for those three areas. 

What do I do to improve my credit? Ever since I've been working I only spend what I have (I hate the concept of debt and can live comfortably with what I earn at the moment). Would puting more towards the security deposit of my secured card help? Anything else?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie trying to build credit from the ground up

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm late to the credit card game. I tried signing up for two credit cards in the past 7 months and was denied both times, which prompted me to check my credit scores and found out that I had a thin file.

I've been working for the past 3 years but 99% of the time I just used my chase debit card. My dad did make me an authorized user of one of his cards lonnnnnnnng time ago which I still use very sparsely (once every 6-7 months)  and then only for small things (ie usually a tank of gas). After seeing my credit scores/lack of credit I signed up for a secured card since I couldn't find a traditional card that would accept me. It's got a 250 dollar limit that I pay off entirely every month once payment is due. 

It's been about 5 months since I've had the capital one secured card and these are my current scores: 

Transunion: 591

Equifax: 626

Capital one gave me a free credit montior as well. I have 100% on time payment, oldest credit line is 37 years (from my dad) and I have one new account (secured capital card)..... all these earned me an "A" grade in those categories. It looks like I'm getting dinged in 3 areas: Credit utiliazation (33%), Recent Inquiries (4- two of them were for new credit cards that I got denied, one was for credit check when renting this apartment, and not quite sure what that last one was, maybe another credit card I tried to sign up) and Available credit (14k). Capital one gave me a C for those three areas. 

What do I do to improve my credit? Ever since I've been working I only spend what I have (I hate the concept of debt and can live comfortably with what I earn at the moment). Would puting more towards the security deposit of my secured card help? Anything else?

Thanks!

I'd consider opening another secured credit card.  You need another line or two to start getting your scores to move upwards.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie trying to build credit from the ground up

I agree. A couple secured cards you might want to take a look at are the BoFA secured and the US Bank Harley-Davidson secured. The BoFA has an annual fee, but they're very good about graduating the card.  The Harley has no annual fee, and has some rewards for Harley stuff.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.