Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie with a question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie with a question

I just joined today. I knew nothing really about Fico, so I pulled my score from experian, and they gave me a score of 703. I am going to get my score from Fico today. Is there a dif between Experian score, or say, Equifax score and Fico?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Newbie with a question

Hi, welcome to the forums!

If you haven't already, please read Understanding Your FICO ® Score and Credit Scoring 101 (at least the first post.)

These will give you the background knowledge you need to understand what you read here on the forums.

There are three credit bureaus, and each has commissioned its own FICO scoring formula, so you have three different FICO scores. They will generally all be different from one another.

There is no place, period, where you can buy your EX FICO score. The score from the EX site is a FAKO. We're all in the dark these days about our EX FICO scores, unless we've applied for a mortgage, or we belong to a semi-obscure credit union in Pennsylvania that supplies EX FICO's..

You can get your EQ and TU FICO's here at the myFICO site.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Hi angel, and welcome.

My advice.  Get your current FICO score under the free myFico program, and then forget scores until you want to actually apply for new credit, for it is meaningless until then.

Once you understand the basics of FICO scoring, concentrate on your credit report, and not your monthly credit score.  All flows from your credit report.

If you have not done so within the past year, go onto annualcreditreport.com, and order your free credit reports from each of the three CRAs.  This is not a commercial site, it is one established under the FCRA, and entitles you under federal law to one free credit report per year at that site.  No fees, no hassle, no obligation.  That is your free starting point in credit monitoring and scoring.

Look for things that are errors in those reports. 

If you find any errors, just come back here to this site, and you will get expert advise on how to deal with them.

Welcome, and happy hunting!

Message 3 of 4
MattH
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Hi, welcome to the forums!

If you haven't already, please read Understanding Your FICO ® Score and Credit Scoring 101 (at least the first post.)

These will give you the background knowledge you need to understand what you read here on the forums.

There are three credit bureaus, and each has commissioned its own FICO scoring formula, so you have three different FICO scores. They will generally all be different from one another.

There is no place, period, where you can buy your EX FICO score. The score from the EX site is a FAKO. We're all in the dark these days about our EX FICO scores, unless we've applied for a mortgage, or we belong to a semi-obscure credit union in Pennsylvania that supplies EX FICO's..

You can get your EQ and TU FICO's here at the myFICO site.

And unless you work for certain employers (the Commonwealth of PA, local government in PA, schools and colleges in PA, certain nonprofits in PA, etc.) or are an alumnus of certain colleges in PA, or have a relative who is a member, you probably cannot join PSECU and therefore cannot get your EX FICO scores by that route either.  EX will be happy to sell you a score, but it will be a FAKO.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.