Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No change in FICO scores for more than a month

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

No change in FICO scores for more than a month

Why there is no change in my scores for more than a month.I paid more than minimum payments on all my 3 credit cards. It should increase my score atleast by 2 points according to score simulator. But it did not. why? How can i improve my score now?

On December 21,
TU - 662
EQ - 656

On November 04
TU - 662
EQ - 656
EX - 684

In August

TU-656
EQ-621
EX-659
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Re: No change in FICO scores for more than a month

take these simulator's with a grain of salt. If you really want to realize a bump, pay balances to between 5 and 3%.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My overall utiliation is 5%. you want me to pay off the balance so that the utilization becomes 3%.
Message 3 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
My overall utiliation is 5%. you want me to pay off the balance so that the utilization becomes 3%.

I wouldn't expect that to make a difference. By the way, even though FICO sort of glances at installment util, it doesn't count very heavily in your score, and it doesn't factor in the util we're always obsessing about here, which is revolving util. So in your case, this means the three CC's plus any lines of credit with CL's of under $50K or so. (Sometimes these "smaller" lines of credit are treated as revolving until their limit hits $50K or so, and then they are counted as installment loans.)

How many total accounts do you have that are open? --including mortgage, installment, etc. Try letting only one of your CC's report a balance, with the other two PIF'd. FICO likes having only half of all types of credit lines report a balance --TU scores especially.

Otherwise, don't know why they've gotten stuck. What sort of things are on your report --lates, collections, charge-offs, etc.?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having a similar issue, in that my scores dropped drastically after I purchased a new vehicle and acquired a new CC in the same month. Then I got spanked again for. it seems, util on my two cards. This month, I paid down both cards to 5% util and they reported the new balances correctly. My Experian score (the lowest of the three) ticked up by one point and TUC didn't budge.
Message 5 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
I am having a similar issue, in that my scores dropped drastically after I purchased a new vehicle and acquired a new CC in the same month. Then I got spanked again for. it seems, util on my two cards. This month, I paid down both cards to 5% util and they reported the new balances correctly. My Experian score (the lowest of the three) ticked up by one point and TUC didn't budge.

Hi, Mike. Generally after about the third month, your scores will be recovering, because the new tradelines will be reporting, and your CC will add its CL to your total. This reduces your overall util. With luck, in another month, your scores should be going back up, if your individual util and overall util stay down.

How many accounts total did you have reporting a balance? What cranky things did EX have to say on your FICO score report? (I'm assuming that you're talking about your FICO's, not FAKO's. Smiley Wink )
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have only 3 credit card accounts that are open.I used two accounts in these two months, I have stopped using the third card since 3 months.But it has a balance of $270. I have been paying off all the three cards more than the minimum balance. I am going to close my mortgage loan in 3 weeks or so.I have one installment loan which is auto loan.I have  paid in advance for 8 months of auto installment.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

A one month change will not really make a difference, as hauling said, take the simi with a grain of salt.  The increase of score is going to depend on a number of factors.  How old are these accounts?  Usually you will see some score boost at 6, 12, 18 and 24 mos all things being equal.  I would never count on a month to month score boost unless you are paying off a relatively high uti.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yesterday I got email saying that my equifax score up by 16 points. Smiley Happy

It was 656 . Now it's 672. A big jump in less than a month.

There was an enquiry from my lender on same day (not sure this happened before jump in points or after)
I paid more than min payments for two cards and more than the balance in another card.
Dont know which caused the big jump. But I am happy. Don't know how much is experian and TU now.  Any how, this does not decrease my mortgage rate rate I guess.
Message 9 of 12
cobra19
Valued Contributor

672 probably is not enough to get a lower rate - but, your getting closer.A couple or three more months like that and you'll be there.
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.