cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noobie with questions

tag
wannab12

Noobie with questions

I am new here so i dont know if this is the right forum to put this in so if it's not. I am sorry!

I have several questions I would like answers to so i will start with an easy one first. Smiley Happy

1 I pulled pulled 2 of my 3 reports over the weekend from Annualreport.com. It wasn't till today that i read on this site that i shouldn't have paid for the credit scores too. Smiley Surprised are they not "true" scores? How do i get "true" scores? My best score was TU 702 ( which i was surprised it was even that high) other report was EX which was 692 (also surpised) .

I have been reading this site for hours today and I think i have over loaded my brain  because i cant find the answers to my questions.LOL can someone please tell me where i can get true scores? or how close the scores i got are to being correct? I have some things on my credit reports i need and want to fix but those questions are for a different forum.  

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Noobie with questions

Hi, wannabe12, welcome to the forums! Sounds like you're in the drinking-from-a-fire-hydrant-stage. Hang in there; it will get better.

Sadly, except for EQ, the CRA's (credit bureaus) are delighted to collect your money for their home-grown scores. Unfortunately, very few if any lenders use them. Most lenders use FICO's.

There are many different credit scores floating around, but the only useful ones are FICO's. You can get all three (EQ, TU, and EX) here at the myFICO site. (Be sure to google FICO discount code first.) You can also get your EQ FICO from the Equifax site. You can get your TU FICO from www.transunioncs.com. (Note the cs.) You can get your EX FICO here and only here.

All other scores --those sold by TU and EX from their sites, and those sold by credit monitoring services like TrueCredit, PrivacyMatters, free-credit-report-dot-com, and so forth, are what we call FAKO's. They are created by a different formula than FICO's; they don't track your FICO scores; and they aren't used by lenders.

Save your money and get FICO's.

If you haven't already, please read Understanding Your FICO ® Score and Credit Scoring 101 (at least the first post.)

These will give you the background knowledge you need to understand what you read here on the forums.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 02-06-2009 03:09 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hi, wannabe12, welcome to the forums! Sounds like you're in the drinking-from-a-fire-hydrant-stage. Hang in there; it will get better.

Sadly, except for EQ, the CRA's (credit bureaus) are delighted to collect your money for their home-grown scores. Unfortunately, very few if any lenders use them. Most lenders use FICO's.

There are many different credit scores floating around, but the only useful ones are FICO's. You can get all three (EQ, TU, and EX) here at the myFICO site. (Be sure to google FICO discount code first.) You can also get your EQ FICO from the Equifax site. You can get your TU FICO from www.transunioncs.com. (Note the cs.) You can get your EX FICO here and only here.

All other scores --those sold by TU and EX from their sites, and those sold by credit monitoring services like TrueCredit, PrivacyMatters, free-credit-report-dot-com, and so forth, are what we call FAKO's. They are created by a different formula than FICO's; they don't track your FICO scores; and they aren't used by lenders.

Save your money and get FICO's.

If you haven't already, please read Understanding Your FICO ® Score and Credit Scoring 101 (at least the first post.)

These will give you the background knowledge you need to understand what you read here on the forums.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 02-06-2009 03:09 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 3
wannab12

Thanks for answering so quickly!

I went ahead and got all 3 reports from myFICO and they are lower then the original numbers I had gotten last weekend Smiley Indifferent but I dont think they are that bad ( I expected them to be ALOT lower.)

TU 683 EQ 646 EX 658

This way i have a base line to work with.  I have some questions on how to go about fixing and removing some things on them. So i will post those questions in the proper forums.

Thanks again for pointing me in the RIGHT direction!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.