Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Reported Closure Dates

tag
mrjimt
New Visitor

Not Reported Closure Dates

I don't understand. I have accounts with no balance that were closed years ago, but on myfico report they show date opened, balance $0, Status "Pays account as agreed to" Paid Late: NO.

I have 9 of these out of 18. 

In the details link for each account- the description shows that the account is closed or paid off, but the close date is blank.

Please help? Should I be working to get these closed accounts- truly closed and off the myfico report?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Not Reported Closure Dates

no no no no no no no no no! Smiley Very Happy

Welcome to the forums, by the way! These clean healthy closed accounts are helping your history and scores. A closed account should stay on your reports for 10 years after closing. If there had been any "problems" on them (late payments and so forth), they would mostly have come off your reports 7 years after the problem, and then the closed report would continue to report as clean.

Many of us would sell minor body parts to have clean, closed accounts on our reports.

Please read Credit Scoring 101 (or at least the first main post) stickied at the top of most of these boards.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nah. If there isn't anything negative associated to them (late payments, charge off, etc..) then they aren't hurting anything. In fact they are probably helping you.
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Hi mrjimt!  Welcome to the forums!

What you get in any of the commercial "credit reports" from any of the commercial vendors, including myFICO, is not a full report of your credit file.  It is a summary report, and does not include much of the information in your full file maintained by the CRA.  Many reports do not provide critical information, such as account closure dates, DOFD, and DOLA.  But they are all in our credit file.

There is a separate reporting code and field in your credit file under which the creditor reports the date of closing of an account, but most of the summary CRs dont include this.  But it is in your credit file.  The importance of the "date closed" is that the CRAs use this date to purge their files once the account reaches approx ten years from the closed date. Then the account, including all its aging on your history, is lost. 

I would send a letter to each of the OCs for the closed accounts, and ask then to provide to you the date that they have reported closure of the account to the CRAs.

As hauling has advised, you DONT want to ask the CRA or the OC to delete these accounts.  They are in good standing, and thus are only helping!!!!

Message Edited by RobertEG on 10-08-2008 07:51 PM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.