Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not all lenders use FICO?

tag
f1ared
Established Member

Not all lenders use FICO?

So I have been speaking to a lender regarding trying to get pre approved for a mortgage soon. I asked him if they use FICO credit scores, as that is what I read most lenders, banks, etc use. He said NO they do not use fico and even went ahead and told me that "saying the word fico is like saying all tissues are called kleenex. Same thing, different brands". 

He told me they use some other credit agency. (Forgot the name). Is this true? Do most banks use a credit agency other than myFico? Probably not the best place to put this LOL, but Is FICO more of just an advertisement? 

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Re: Not all lenders use FICO?

MyFico allows you to pull your FICO-08 scores from the three major CRA's (Equifax, Experien, Transunion).   However, there are several models a lender can pull from.  The following sticky discusses the different models:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/The-many-flavors-of-FICO-Editions-version...

If the CCC is using a different model, the MyFico score may not be very accurate.

There are some lenders who only use an internal scoring method.  They pull your credit report from a CRA and do their own scoring.  However, most lenders will use a FICO score and add their own stuff on top.  For example, your income is not included in FICO scoring, most CCC's consider your income vs debts before approval.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditDunce wrote:

MyFico allows you to pull your FICO-08 scores from the three major CRA's (Equifax, Experien, Transunion).   However, there are several models a lender can pull from.  The following sticky discusses the different models:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/The-many-flavors-of-FICO-Editions-version...

If the CCC is using a different model, the MyFico score may not be very accurate.

There are some lenders who only use an internal scoring method.  They pull your credit report from a CRA and do their own scoring.  However, most lenders will use a FICO score and add their own stuff on top.  For example, your income is not included in FICO scoring, most CCC's consider your income vs debts before approval.

+1. 

A couple years back I read somewhere that 80% of the top 100 financial institutions used some variant of FICO scores. You have several other models, including ones by the CRAs themselves, but most of them are not considered FICO scores. Moreover, FICO scores themselves can vary a lot since you have dozens of versions of FICO scores for different purposes. 

Message 3 of 4
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditDunce wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/The-many-flavors-of-FICO-Editions-versions-and-variations/td-p/1197617

+1. 

A couple years back I read somewhere that 80% of the top 100 financial institutions used some variant of FICO scores. You have several other models, including ones by the CRAs themselves, but most of them are not considered FICO scores. Moreover, FICO scores themselves can vary a lot since you have dozens of versions of FICO scores for different purposes. 

I think there are now over 50 different versions of Fico scores now. I don't think that includes CCC internal scoring thats based off fico scores and the such. It can all get very confusing. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.