cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not having a "high" credit limit can lower your fico??

tag
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

Not having a "high" credit limit can lower your fico??

According to Quizzle, one of the factors keeping my score down is:

"Your largest credit limit on open bankcard or revolving accounts is too low

The largest credit limit on all your open bankcard or revolving accounts in your credit file is low. Having higher limits gives you access to credit without seeking new loans or becoming overextended.

What you can do

Use credit responsibly and always make payments on time with your existing accounts. After a period of successfully managing your accounts, you can contact your creditors and request increases to your credit limits."

I never ask for credit limit increases to keep my total available credit to a minimum. I always pay in full  and don't even come close to maxing out a card during the month. The reason I try to keep my available credit low is I want to be approved for any card I apply for, since generally I wait until the CC companies have special limited time sign up offer, and when it's out there, like most recently Delta and Prestige's 50,000 I want to be sure i get approved. Since my annual income is only $45,000, I'm worried of getting rejected for having too much available credit. As it stand I already have $105,000 credit from cc's, spread out over 15 cards, with my highest limit being $13,500. I know that's way more than I need but i don't want to cancel any cards because I do use all of them (5% categories, airlines, hotel, etc..)

Anways do you think it might be a good idea to try and get at least one card with a high limit, like maybe $25000 or so? Anyone heard of that helping with your fico's? I realize Quizzle doesn't give FICO's, it's a "Vantage" score, but I'm assuming they are similar when it comes to scoring.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Not having a "high" credit limit can lower your fico??

I was wrong, see CNC's post for better information 

        
Message 2 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

My suggestion is that instead of getting new cards, you request credit limit increases from those of your credit card companies which do credit limit increases with soft pulls.

New cards, recent cards, recent inquiries.... these all bring your score down.

Increasing your credit limits decreases your utilization, which raises your score.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 10
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

It's not Quizzle that comes up with these reasons.

Quizzle reports VantageScores. While FICO doesn't use the absolute size of credit limits in score calculations VantageScore does. Scores that are used to grant credit must have reason codes describing the factors that negatively impact them.  Thus FICO, which only looks at credit limit ratios to balances, does not have a reason code lfor the size of credit limits.  VantageScore, which does look at credit limit size has a corresponding code.

There is a question as to whether people with high CLs and other ratios being equal actually have lower credit risk. VantageScore's algorithms say they do while FICO's algorithms say they don't.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 4 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@cashnocredit wrote:

It's not Quizzle that comes up with these reasons.

Quizzle reports VantageScores. While FICO doesn't use the absolute size of credit limits in score calculations VantageScore does. Scores that are used to grant credit must have reason codes describing the factors that negatively impact them.  Thus FICO, which only looks at credit limit ratios to balances, does not have a reason code lfor the size of credit limits.  VantageScore, which does look at credit limit size has a corresponding code.

There is a question as to whether people with high CLs and other ratios being equal actually have lower credit risk. VantageScore's algorithms say they do while FICO's algorithms say they don't.

Google FTW, you were right see below.  

Don't honestly think this is a major component, my VS doesn't suck and I don't get this with worse limits than what the OP has.  Wonder what limit it does calculate at.

        
Message 5 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

This may not be accurate but it's a semi-easy format to dump:

The balances on your accounts are too high compared to loan amounts
Too many of the delinquencies on your accounts are recent
You have too many accounts that were opened recently
You have too many delinquent or derogatory accounts
You have either very few loans or too many loans with recent delinquencies
The worst payment status on your accounts is delinquent or derogatory
You have either very few loans or too many loans with delinquencies
Too few of your bankcard or other revolving accounts have high limits
The date you opened your oldest bankcard or revolving account is too recent
Too few discharged bankruptcies
The total of your delinquent or derogatory account balances is too high
The date that you opened your oldest account is too recent
Your most recently opened account is too new
Lack of sufficient credit history
Newest delinquent or derogatory payment status on your accounts is too recent
The total of all balances on your open accounts is too high
Balances on previously delinquent accounts are too high compared to loan amts
Total of balances on accounts never late is too high compared to loan amounts
No open accounts in your credit file
No recently reported account information
Lack of sufficient relevant account information
Too many of your open bankcard or revolving accounts have a balance
Balances on bankcard or revolving accounts too high compared to credit limits
The date you opened your newest bankcard or revolving account is too recent
No recently reported real estate account information
Too many installment accounts with a delinquent or derogatory payment status
The date that you opened your oldest account is not too recent
Too many bankcard or other revolving accounts were opened recently
Your worst bankcard or revolving account status is delinquent or derogatory
Total of all balances on bankcard or revolving accounts is too high
Your highest bankcard or revolving account balance is too high
Your largest credit limit on open bankcard or revolving accounts is too low
Available credit on your open bankcard or revolving accounts is too low

        
Message 6 of 10
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

This may not be accurate but it's a semi-easy format to dump:

The balances on your accounts are too high compared to loan amounts
Too many of the delinquencies on your accounts are recent
You have too many accounts that were opened recently
You have too many delinquent or derogatory accounts
You have either very few loans or too many loans with recent delinquencies
The worst payment status on your accounts is delinquent or derogatory
The date you opened your oldest bankcard or revolving account is too recent
Too few discharged bankruptcies
The total of your delinquent or derogatory account balances is too high
Lack of sufficient credit history
Newest delinquent or derogatory payment status on your accounts is too recent
The total of all balances on your open accounts is too high
Balances on previously delinquent accounts are too high compared to loan amts
Total of balances on accounts never late is too high compared to loan amounts
No recently reported account information
Too many of your open bankcard or revolving accounts have a balance
The date you opened your newest bankcard or revolving account is too recent
No recently reported real estate account information
Too many installment accounts with a delinquent or derogatory payment status
The date that you opened your oldest account is not too recent
Too many bankcard or other revolving accounts were opened recently
Your worst bankcard or revolving account status is delinquent or derogatory
Total of all balances on bankcard or revolving accounts is too high
Your highest bankcard or revolving account balance is too high
Your largest credit limit on open bankcard or revolving accounts is too low
Available credit on your open bankcard or revolving accounts is too low

It's VS code 39. The explanation expanded:

Bankcard accounts include credit cards and charge cards from a bank and are frequently revolving accounts. Revolving accounts allow you to carry a balance and your monthly payment will vary, based on the amount of your balance. The amount of credit you have available to use on your open bankcards or revolving accounts is low. Having higher limits gives you access to credit without seeking new loans or becoming overextended _ which are triggers for higher risk.

It's an interesting difference between FICO and VantageScore. I have no idea what VS considers good or not but I did have very high VantageScore 2 scores back when I had poor FICO scores. VS was at 90% while FICOs were at 40% where percentage was relative to the number of consumers with lower scores. At the time I had high limits but significant baddies. The high limits were a result of large security deposits on secured cards.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 7 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@cashnocredit wrote:

Bankcard accounts include credit cards and charge cards from a bank and are frequently revolving accounts. Revolving accounts allow you to carry a balance and your monthly payment will vary, based on the amount of your balance. The amount of credit you have available to use on your open bankcards or revolving accounts is low. Having higher limits gives you access to credit without seeking new loans or becoming overextended _ which are triggers for higher risk.

It's an interesting difference between FICO and VantageScore. I have no idea what VS considers good or not but I did have very high VantageScore 2 scores back when I had poor FICO scores. VS was at 90% while FICOs were at 40% where percentage was relative to the number of consumers with lower scores. At the time I had high limits but significant baddies. The high limits were a result of large security deposits on secured cards.

Making a liberal assumption based on my own FICO vs. VS comparison, I assume many of your derogatories were resolved?

As near as I can tell VS doesn't count paid collections nor paid tax liens, and that might apply to other things people have gotten righteous on.  I didn't really get a good testing datapoint for VS with the tax lien that got tacked on late as it was released darned quickly after I let the IRS know they screwed up on this one; however, my VS was still high while it was on there nor moved when it came off (whereas FICO absolutely did though not by much with other liens still on the report).

The problem I have with that reason code is that limits aren't determined in a vacuum, and by regulation have to determined by "borrower's ability to repay" which is suspect given that low income individuals shouldn't be hurt and plausibly denied access to credit if their payment history is no different from someone making absurds amount of money and correspondingly high limits.  That strikes me as way too close to the redlining in the mortgage world personally, and that's something that is worthy of being slapped for, much for the same reasons.

My theory anyway.

        
Message 8 of 10
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

Making a liberal assumption based on my own FICO vs. VS comparison, I assume many of your derogatories were resolved?

As near as I can tell VS doesn't count paid collections nor paid tax liens, and that might apply to other things people have gotten righteous on.  I didn't really get a good testing datapoint for VS with the tax lien that got tacked on late as it was released darned quickly after I let the IRS know they screwed up on this one; however, my VS was still high while it was on there nor moved when it came off (whereas FICO absolutely did though not by much with other liens still on the report).

The problem I have with that reason code is that limits aren't determined in a vacuum, and by regulation have to determined by "borrower's ability to repay" which is suspect given that low income individuals shouldn't be hurt and plausibly denied access to credit if their payment history is no different from someone making absurds amount of money and correspondingly high limits.  That strikes me as way too close to the redlining in the mortgage world personally, and that's something that is worthy of being slapped for, much for the same reasons.

My theory anyway.

Absolutely, One of the major reasons of FICO score's ascendency was that it took the personal judgments of underwriters out of the equation. I doubt many underwriters were conciously discriminating but it is essentially impossible to remove one's biases when judgment is involved. 

And yes, my baddies were paid at the time of that VS v FICO score anomoly. While VS3 states they no longer use paid CAs and there is some evidence they discounted paid liens VS2 has never documented the same treatment. It might well be the case though that VS2 did a similar thing.

Since my baddies dropped off my VS3 scores are quite close to FICO scores.

Still, FICO and VS mostly score procivity to repay and ability to repay can only be inferred since creditors have virtually no access to that information unless one also does regular banking with the creditor. The introduction of payments made in credit reports does provide additional information about ability to repay and FICO's banking blog has noted that people that pay 2x or more of the minimum payment corresponds to much lower risk of default. The newest VS3 and FICO 9 use this information and it may provide information about how close to the edge people use credit regardless of their total CLs which should be fairer than just looking at raw CL totals and infering ability to repay from those. If so then VS3 probably factors in total CLs to a much lower degree than VS2 which didn't use payment reporting.

Message 9 of 10
iv
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't put too much stock in that particular VantageScore 3 reason code... It's been giving me that reason code in position 2 or 3, even with the highest individual card limit at 35k, and no other revolving line lower than 20k.

And since it's only a VS3 criteria, not a FICO 8 or FICO mortgage criteria... don't even worry about it.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.