Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not seeing the changed we hoped to.....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not seeing the changed we hoped to.....

We've been working on all this since April... my husbands score dropped 20 points overnight after the mortgage inquires and the 2 new credit card inquires were posted (he had NO revolving credit- got 2 cards)... then it went up 20 points after the new credit cards posted.  So, we're STILL where we started from.

He paid off two collections- no change- though didn't think that would help the score, just eventual underwriting.

Wondering.... the first time the new CC's reported one reported with a balance of 70% of utilization (gotta love those fees)... he since paid it down to about 8% and we're waiting for that to report for a 2nd month in a row (should be by the end of the month)- will that raise the score at all?

The other one reported with a 10% utilization and nothing happened to the score either.

Question- will his credit score go up on a monthly basis, quarterly basis, yearly basis as a result of these new cards reporting positively?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Not seeing the changed we hoped to.....

Well, I don't think it's going to jump by a huge margin.  But I think the best thing for his score will be time...with good accts. 

You mentioned a mtg inq....are you wanting to buy or did you already?

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BungalowMo wrote:

Well, I don't think it's going to jump by a huge margin.  But I think the best thing for his score will be time...with good accts. 

You mentioned a mtg inq....are you wanting to buy or did you already?

We're hoping to.  Hoping, hoping, hoping.  I GET that they have to pull your report to tell you where to go and what to do, but it's been pulled 3 times... not cool!  PLUS the 2 from the credit cards, PLUS ONE for a CA that just came out of nowhere... of course, took care of it, but still......
Message 3 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If he has two CC's total (I think that's what I'm reading) tell him to make one report $0 by paying off the balance before the statement drops, and have the other report some nominal balance like $10 (it needs to be 9% or less of that card's balance.) After it reports, tell him to be sure to pay off that small balance. Forgetting to do this is an easy way to get a late fee from the bank.

In the meantime, I'm guessing that getting that 70% individual util knocked down should help a lot.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 quick ways to raise your score, have less than 1/2 of your revolving accounts show a balance. Have each of those balances at under 9% utility.

As the newness of the credit cards wear off, you will see increases. Maybe 1 at 3 months and another after 12 months.

edit to add: thats what happens when away from the keyboard for 5 minutes. I become a parrot. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by scorerise on 06-16-2009 04:06 PM
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.