cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that I have 5 CC's - Should I kill my AU - AMEX GOLD CARD ?

tag
tussking
Established Contributor

Now that I have 5 CC's - Should I kill my AU - AMEX GOLD CARD ?

How does it help or hurt me ? I have been an AU for 5+ years...It shows up on my CCT as debt but doesnt affect my credit util %...

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

Re: Now that I have 5 CC's - Should I kill my AU - AMEX GOLD CARD ?

Quickly glanced at the thread title in the forum and only saw: "Now that I have 5 CC's - Should I kill my AU?" Smiley Surprised

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lordAventador wrote:

Quickly glanced at the thread title in the forum and only saw: "Now that I have 5 CC's - Should I kill my AU?" Smiley Surprised

That's hillarious. I'm sure a few card holders, upon receiving an unexpectedly large statement, have considered it.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

LordA and Plip.... you guys are a hoot.

Hi Tussking.  The key with any credit related question you might ask here is first to see if you can understand what parts of the FICO model a decision you are considering will affect.

So for example, if a person wants to know "Will it help my score to pay down my credit cards?" we have to first know what his CC debt and CC limits are.  If he doesn't tell us that, there's no way to know.  And that's because paying down CC debt affects three different factors in the Amounts Owed category.  So you first have to understand (as best you can) what parts of the model the decision could affect, and then that will steer you toward supplying the Forum readers with the right information to help answer your question. 

In your case, your goal should be to try to understand what parts of the model being an AU on a charge card could affect.  You have looked and have seemed to be able to confirm that the AU card isn't affecting your credit limits and util.  Good first step.   What then could it be affecting (in a positive way)?  Can you guess?

The answer is age.  The AU account could be affecting two age factors.  Age of oldest account and average age of accounts.

Based on what you wrote, the following two scenarios are both possible:

(a)  The AU account is 30 years old and your five credit cards were all added in the last 3 months. 

(b)  The AU account is 6 years old and your five credit cards were all added 4 years ago.

In scenario (a) the AU account will still be helping you a lot, and you'd benefit from holding onto it for another year (conceivably two).

In scenario (b) the AU account will still be helping you very little, and it is a good time to let it go.

Because we don't know how old the AU account is and how old your other accounts are, we can't answer your question. 

PS.  It is possible that some or all FICO models consider a profile that includes a charge card to have a better "mix" than one that contains only credit cards alone.  So there is another scoring category the AU could be helping.  But the advantage there is slim.  You should certainly be looking to abandon the AU at some point.  Age may be a reasonable way to make that decision.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would never argue with CreditGuyinDixie. His advice is informative and logical. Coming from a rather simple view, suggest the following.

If the AU is a positive tradeline helping your score, you trust the original account holder (and the account holder doesn't mind), and relatively low overall balance on the AU account then, keep the tradeline. 

If things so south, the AU tradeline is relitively simple to have deleted from your credit report.

However, if your were to remove yourself from the CC account, it should still report for the next 10 years, helping your AAoA.

I'm just coming from a, if there isn't anything wrong, there's nothing to fix, point of view..

Risk- If you keep the AU open and the original card holder gets in financial straights in say, 2 yrs with a 30 day late. You will have to get the tradeline deleted from your CR. 

If you remove yourself as a AU on that card, you keep the current history of it for the next 10 years, even if the original card holder gets in trouble later.

If you keep it as is, and original card holder maintains the card well, then it will continue to benefit you. Preferably till all your new accounts are at least 2 years old.

Leave it to you :-)

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi tussking,

What did you decide to do?

Message 6 of 14
tussking
Established Contributor

Just amazing information ! I cannot thank you all enough.

The AMEX reports opened on 8/2013.

There is zero chance of an issue with the cardholder (my dad who has been an Amex member since 68).

It usually reports a balance of $4-6k a month.

As for my my CC's they are all new within 90 days.

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very helpful!  BTW, can you clarify something for us?  In your first post you mentioned that you have been an AU on this card for 5+ years.  But in your last post you mention that the card was opened 08/2013.  (That would be about 2.4 years ago.)

It doesn't seem like both could be the case.  Or perhaps I am missing something?

Message 8 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@tussking wrote:

How does it help or hurt me ? I have been an AU for 5+ years...It shows up on my CCT as debt but doesnt affect my credit util %...

It will hurt your scores in the short run but help them in the long run to show your credit history as entirely your own. So if you don't need high scores in the immediate future, I say go ahead and take the plunge.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 14
tussking
Established Contributor

8/2013 is accurate. I had the card once before and removed myself about 5 years ago. I forgot that I re-established it 8/2013.
Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.