Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG! I broke 800!

tag
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

OMG! I broke 800!

Wow.  Decided to buy a FICO report using the discount today, and I got my Experian report --- 801! I'm shocked. 

Just a few years ago, in 2010, I had no credit at all, and before that, bad credit.  So, in just a few years -- wow.  And much of it is due to this board, so thank you.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor
Message 2 of 20
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

Re: OMG! I broke 800!

I think Experian tends to be higher than the others, right?  Still, it was pretty exciting to see.

Message 3 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats that an accomplishment to be very proud of 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 20
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Cloudlb wrote:

I think Experian tends to be higher than the others, right?  Still, it was pretty exciting to see.

Has been my lowest.  It's a YMMV type of thing.  Congrats!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 20
Drew
Frequent Contributor

Well done.  If you don't mind me asking, what do you think might have contributed to the high score?

Message 8 of 20
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

now I want to get the other two to check!  too expensive, though.  what a racket.

Drew:  this is what I did to build my credit, since the beginning of 2010.

--I waited until whatever baddies I had dropped off the 7 year cliff.  Then, I attempted to check my credit report--not enough to make a score.

--So I went to my credit union and got a small credit limit mastercard. Then added (over the course of 2 years, I think); a furniture store account, a Discover Card, and a Dillard's Amex. 

--Used my cards monthly, paid everything in full on time!

--kept checking my credit reports -- fortunately, there was nothing bad left on there.

--bought a car, financed by my credit union.  Very good terms!  Put the payment on automatic.

--kept on using my cards monthly, bought a few larger purchases, but paid everything on time and promptly.  Kept inquiries to a minimum.

--In January of 2013, bought a house!  (my first ever). Financed by my very wonderful credit union, very good terms.  Put the payment on auto!  Have not applied for anything else since.

That's it.  Use the cards, but don't rack up debt which I can't pay in full every month.  Pay on time! Don't apply for more things.  I think my score went down a bit after I bought my house, but it's bounced back up.  It will probably bob up and down if I apply for more credit cards or something, but I don't know why I'd do that.  I sort of don't understand that whole applying for more and more thing. 

Message 9 of 20
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Once you have that mortgage and a few other accounts, revolving, maybe an auto loan.  Just sit back and garden them, watch that score grow and grow.  Nice work!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.