cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Adverse Accounts and Judgment. Should I have them deleted?

tag
SCYD
Regular Contributor

Old Adverse Accounts and Judgment. Should I have them deleted?

I have a question.  I have bankruptcy on my file from 2010, which is due to stay on until 2020.  The accounts that I had included in bankruptcy (which have negative information) are due to come off at the end of this year, as well as a judgment.

Question is: If I have the Judgment and these old accounts removed, will that impact my credit score at all, since Bankruptcy will still be showing.

BK 7 DC'd 10/2010
Scores (03/17/16): EQ: 704 / TU: 725 / EX: 694 / Cap1 QS1: 6.5K / CU: 7.5K /
JC Penney: 10K/ Chevron: 4K / Target: 500 / Macy's 17.2K/ NFCU Sig. Visa Cash Reward:22K / NFCU Flagship 22K/NavChk:15K / NavChk:7.5K(joint)/WF Plat:15K / WF Propel Amex:5K/DIscover 10K/USAA Visa 14K/USAA Amex 14K/Nordstrom 10K/TJ MAxx 10K/BP Visa 6.5K
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Old Adverse Accounts and Judgment. Should I have them deleted?

FICO continues to score your payment history under a less-favorable categorization (commonly called a scoring bucket) until all major derogs are excluded or deleted.

Thus, you will generally not see major changes in scoring until the last major derog is removed.

A BK is, of course, a major derog.

As an aside, what derogs are reported under the accounts that you expect to be removed later this year?

Credit report exclusion generally applies to the derogs, not the exlcusion of entire accounts.

On what basis are you assuming the entire accounts will be removed?

Message 2 of 3
SCYD
Regular Contributor

Re: Old Adverse Accounts and Judgment. Should I have them deleted?

@RobertEG wrote:

FICO continues to score your payment history under a less-favorable categorization (commonly called a scoring bucket) until all major derogs are excluded or deleted.

Thus, you will generally not see major changes in scoring until the last major derog is removed.

A BK is, of course, a major derog.

As an aside, what derogs are reported under the accounts that you expect to be removed later this year?

Credit report exclusion generally applies to the derogs, not the exlcusion of entire accounts.

On what basis are you assuming the entire accounts will be removed?

Besides te Bakruptcy, I have a Judgment against me and under 4 different credit cards it shows Charged off and Included in Bankruptcy and the payment history shows the lates up to I believe was either 120 or 180 days. 

When I pulled my credit report , it shows "this item to be removed 11/2016".

BK 7 DC'd 10/2010
Scores (03/17/16): EQ: 704 / TU: 725 / EX: 694 / Cap1 QS1: 6.5K / CU: 7.5K /
JC Penney: 10K/ Chevron: 4K / Target: 500 / Macy's 17.2K/ NFCU Sig. Visa Cash Reward:22K / NFCU Flagship 22K/NavChk:15K / NavChk:7.5K(joint)/WF Plat:15K / WF Propel Amex:5K/DIscover 10K/USAA Visa 14K/USAA Amex 14K/Nordstrom 10K/TJ MAxx 10K/BP Visa 6.5K
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.