Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old Credit

A collection company out of MI, is contacting me about an old debt from the nineites (12 years old). They are calling my cell phone and leaving messages. It has been removed from my credit report, should I contact them. Also my credit score is 447,Smiley Sad However... that is an improvement from 390 less than 3 weeks ago. Should I a pay down all the the credit cards to ZERO  and increase my score??? 
Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Old Credit

I would send them ONLY a cease and desist letter under FDCPA 805(c). That will require them to cease communiction with you.  I would not talk to them or address any other issues with them now.

They cannot post to your CR since it is clearly beyond 7 1/2 years from DOFD.,  While they can still sue for the debt, if your state SOL has expired, they cannot win in court, so just wait for them to sue (which they wont), and if they do, show in court and ask for dismissal based on expiration of the SOL.

They are a joke, pure and simple.  Just require that they cease and desist in bothering you in their fruitless endeavor.

Message 13 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Send the JD Collector a FOAD letter.

Not enough information here to tell you that paying revolving debt to zero will help the score- responsible use of credit increases the score.

What other baddies do you have that is repressing your score?

@Anonymous wrote:
A collection company out of MI, is contacting me about an old debt from the nineites (12 years old). They are calling my cell phone and leaving messages. It has been removed from my credit report, should I contact them. Also my credit score is 447,Smiley Sad However... that is an improvement from 390 less than 3 weeks ago. Should I a pay down all the the credit cards to ZERO and increase my score???

Message 2 of 18
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Send the JD Collector a FOAD letter.

Not enough information here to tell you that paying revolving debt to zero will help the score- responsible use of credit increases the score.

What other baddies do you have that is repressing your score?

@Anonymous wrote:
A collection company out of MI, is contacting me about an old debt from the nineites (12 years old). They are calling my cell phone and leaving messages. It has been removed from my credit report, should I contact them. Also my credit score is 447,Smiley Sad However... that is an improvement from 390 less than 3 weeks ago. Should I a pay down all the the credit cards to ZERO and increase my score???

Oh yes, the good ole' FOAD letter. Please just no sample letters though!Smiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

fused wrote:
Oh yes, the good ole' FOAD letter. Please just no sample letters though!Smiley Very Happy

OK, so what's a FOAD letter? Google suggests "Feed Our Adorable Dolphins," but that seems unlikely. ???

edit: oh, wait, I think I figured it out. Smiley Surprised Last word is "die", right? I'm more familiar with the slightly milder ESAD variant. Too bad, I would have enjoyed a sample letter or two! Smiley Wink

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 10-31-2007 12:52 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

F' off and die
Soooo close= I am sure you can figure out the F

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@fused wrote:

OK, so what's a FOAD letter? Google suggests "Feed Our Adorable Dolphins," but that seems unlikely. ???
edit: oh, wait, I think I figured it out. Smiley Surprised Last word is "die", right? I'm more familiar with the slightly milder ESAD variant. Too bad, I would have enjoyed a sample letter or two! Smiley Wink

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 10-31-2007 12:52 PM

Message 5 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

That's what I figured. (Although I was sort of charmed about the dolphins.) My version was eat s**t and die, but what do I know???
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 18
Dawn
Established Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

LOL!!!  Should we ask Barry to put this in the "Common Abbreviation" listing?  Smiley Surprised
Message 7 of 18
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I guess we can ask...not!Smiley Indifferent
Message 8 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@fused wrote:
I guess we can ask...not!Smiley Indifferent

Not until Barry puts MOV in there, by golly.

OK, once again, we have abandoned the OP. Timothy tried, but then we were off and rolling.

OP, if you haven't given up on us and would like to post info on your cards, including current balances and credit limits, we could probably give you slightly more useful advice, LOL.
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

A fwew baddies....I have a judgement from July 2002, which was satisfied. Government student loans which in deferrment. Credit Cards with high balance $264, $330 $293
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.