Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old collection account???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old collection account???

I have a collection account from 1998. Recently, a collection company made a hard pull on my credit report. When I contacted them, they said it was in regards to this 9 year old account. Can they pull my credit without my permission? Can they report this account on my CR? What other bad things can they do that would affect my CR?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Re: Old collection account???

Any collection account stays on the credit report for 7 years from the date the account was put on. This situation is disputable because the account is older than that. I ran into that situation. The first thing I did was conatct the collection company and told them they were past the statute of limitations. Therefore they had to have the account removed. If they refused, and I ran into thsi before, I disputed the account along with filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau & Attorney General's office (consumer protection) were the collection company is located. Of course you can send them aletetr to threaten legal action. To them it is betetr to delete it from your credit file rather than waste time & money to come to your area for a court hearing.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

This does not appear on my CR. This just came out of the blue. I realize it cannot be placed on my CR but can they make a hard pull on my CR because of this account? Can they seek a judgment in court and have it appear as a public record on my CR or is it too old to appear as a public record?

Message Edited by jred on 07-11-2007 02:52 PM
Message 3 of 4
Boswd
Valued Contributor

They can always try to sue even if it is beyond your state's SOL,  if you do get a summons answer it and be prepared to go to court and use SOL as your defense.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.