Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners

On time, paid of Discover, and Equifax score dropped 26 points! WHY??!!!

I was livid last night to see that despite my settling with Discover Card and initiating a dispute over the categorization of another old neg. account (paid off years ago), AND paying my mortgage on time, my Equifax credit score dropped from 634 to 621 to 608!  Why on earth would this have happened?  Does filing a dispute cause a credit score drop???  Does settling an old written-off debt hurt your credit?  It seems I am being punished for doing the right things!  Can anyone out there explain this illogic to me?  Thanks.

Re: On time, paid of Discover, and Equifax score dropped 26 points! WHY??!!!

I am new here, and have only recently re-entered the land of the living after not caring about my decimated credit score for years.  After reading some other posts, it sounds like I may have been re-bucketed???  Does that sound right?  An old Discover charge-off was settled, that's the major change that took place. 
Moderator Emeritus

You would only be re-bucketed if that CO went away completely. I'm guessing that the dispute could have caused the initial drop. The final drop, assuming nothing else happened to your reports, could have been caused by the date change on the "reported date" or the DOLA to the day or month you paid the account. FICO is likely reading this as a newer baddie and that could very well do that. A "settled" account with that mention on your CRs is just as bad as a CO in lenders' and FICO's eyes.

You could GW the OC and ask them to remove those comments. Comments may include "charge-off", "settled", "settled for less than full", "was a charge-off" or the like.

Thanks for the reply.  The Discover card was already listed as a charge-off, and still is.  So that must not be it.  There was a notation that Discover did some kind of reporting, but no numbers have changed.  I settled with them  in full for less than the original amount thinking this would help by removing the balance still owed.  Did I screw myself up?  You reminded me that a collection did drop off, but it did so last month, and my score went from 618 to 634.  It is very frustrating to do the "right thing" and be punished for it, if that's the case.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.