Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One and not the other?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

One and not the other?

Hello all. I'm back again for advice. Recently disputed an old 2011 utility bill and equafax removed it. But Experian sent me a letter saying it remains. And I'm still waiting on The dispute. How can one CRA remove it and the other not remove it??? And who knows what TU findings are going to be. Is this common?? Can I redispute with Experian?? Don't know what to do here. And should I wait for the out come of TU first?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: One and not the other?

It would be strange if TU, EQ, and EX were three divisions within the same company.  But they are not.  They are three different companies.  EQ made an internal decision to remove it, based on its own internal policies and the particular EQ team that reviewed it.  EX came to a different conclusion.

You may be able to get better advice from folks here on next steps if you describe the thing you disputed more fully.  You call it a "utility bill."  How does it appear on your report?  I am guessing that the utility company turned it over to a collection agency at some point, and it is the collection that you are disputing.  Is that right?

What was the balance on it?

Finally, is there something untrue about the record as it appears on your report?  In other words, did that utility company submit a bill to you for that amount (incuding possibly late fees etc.)?  Or is it more that you are just trying to get this negative record off your report, and you are hoping that a dispute will be the best way to make that happen?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The balance was 1,264 which I have no idea of a utility bill with that amount. It's a collection . And honestly it might have been a family member using my SS to get electric. Because I never ran a utility bill that high in my life. And it was on all 3 CRA. Again it's almost 7 years ago. Went thru 2 divorces around that time. It might of even been abused by none payment from a x wife. Really can't put my finger on that bill. So many factors here
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Camelot!  That's really helpful.

Since the collection in question is almost seven years old, is there anything wrong with just waiting a few more months?  At that point it really will be 7 years old, and then it should fall off.

Are you trying to buying a house in the next 90 days, or is there any other reason that just allowing time to take care of it is not the simplest solution?

One thing I am hearing from you is that it's possible that the collection as it appears on your report is fully legitimate -- it happened a long time ago, there were was a divorce and an ex in the mix, you really can't be sure etc.  The dispute process is ideally for when you have a clear sense that the record is untrue in some sense.  Thus, if I had a credit card that showed a date opened of Dec 2016, when in fact it I knew it was opened in Dec 2006, I could dispute the date.

Because the record might well be correct, and because it is about to fall off anyway, perhaps just allowing time to address it is best.  Your thoughts?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to buy in the next 3-6 months. More over in April going for a small personal loan from one main financial for moving expenses. Not really worried for the personal loan. They require 600 min score. Plus I'm only using each month about 10% of my paycheck . So I'm guessing I won't have a problem with them I only have 2 other collections and they are medical. Which they don't seem to care about with the person I spoke too. As far as the utility I guess after Tu finishes there investigation on the 24th of this month. I'll just accept the gift out come from equafax and wait for it to drop off from the other 2 . Thank you for the comments
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.