Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on AAoA please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opinions on AAoA please

@CreditDunce wrote:

But IMO AAoA isn't that important to FICO scoring.  Especially if you can stay above 4-5 years. Even if you AAoA drops, your oldest account age should still keep on rising helping your FICO score.  I will also note that most lenders don't look any differently at a 761 vs a 850 score.  At that range income and your average credit limit on other accounts becomes more important.

You think so?  Most believe that ACL plays no role at all in scoring.  Are you referring to importance during MR?  I agree with your opinion on income, but not sure about the ACL comment.  I would think AAoA would still be a more noteworthy datapoint, as well as AoOA and AoYA.  I just think from the POV of a potential lender.  Two otherwise equal profiles, equal incomes, etc.  One has an ACL of $4k (Maybe they just have 3 credit cards, all $4k limits, as they've never pushed or accepted CLIs) with a AAoA of 8 years, AoOA of 19 years, AoYA of 3 years.  The second has an ACL of $12k, AAoA of 5 years, AoOA of 12 years, AoYA of 1 year.  I would think upon a MR, the account with the lower ACL but stronger age of accounts history would appear stronger to the person doing the MR.  I could be wrong, but just my opinion here. 

Message 11 of 20
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

No I don't believe ACL or income affects FICO.  ACL and income make a difference to your starting limits.  IIRC, to get approved for the CSP/CSP the OP will need 5k/10k limits.   You can get an 850 FICO score with a relatively low AAoA.  I am not sure the exact AAoA needed, but 5 years is certainly enough.

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm at about 830 on Experian (Amex score) and Transunion (BofA score) with AAoA of 3 years (mixed up AAoA with credit history length of 7 years)... I have barely any inquiries which may be helping along with low util...

CreditDunce - I recently received 10k limits on Amex and Discover to go along with my Quicksilver 10k so hopefully history with these limits will help me in 4 years Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditDunce wrote:

No I don't believe ACL or income affects FICO.  ACL and income make a difference to your starting limits.  IIRC, to get approved for the CSP/CSP the OP will need 5k/10k limits.   You can get an 850 FICO score with a relatively low AAoA.  I am not sure the exact AAoA needed, but 5 years is certainly enough.

Hrm I don't think we've seen an 850 with less than 7 and change years AAOA, "somewhere less than 8 years" is the best number we have at the moment, though that was on what I'd call a contrived file with one 20+ year old tradeline and some new ones.

If I sell my condo next year and don't immediately buy something else, I'll try fully optimizing my file and see where it lands, though there may be a breakpoint at 4 years that I might not be able to really test.

38 months now, and I'll be basically clean and not adding tradelines when I get to 48 on EX/EQ, and with my file's thickness it'd take a lot of apps to beat my AAOA back down under 48 if I get appreciably past it (29 total tradelines on the report), but life > FICO testing.

        
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditDunce wrote:

True that ACL if high can positively impact future SLs, but it's also important to remember that once exposure reaches a certain level (relative to income & profile) it's equally possible that high limits can adversely impact SLs, especially if they are between the same creditor.

Message 15 of 20
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@CreditDunce wrote:

Hrm I don't think we've seen an 850 with less than 7 and change years AAOA, "somewhere less than 8 years" is the best number we have at the moment, though that was on what I'd call a contrived file with one 20+ year old tradeline and some new ones.

If I sell my condo next year and don't immediately buy something else, I'll try fully optimizing my file and see where it lands, though there may be a breakpoint at 4 years that I might not be able to really test.

38 months now, and I'll be basically clean and not adding tradelines when I get to 48 on EX/EQ, and with my file's thickness it'd take a lot of apps to beat my AAOA back down under 48 if I get appreciably past it (29 total tradelines on the report), but life > FICO testing.

Agreed, I saw the same. I generally say 8 years AAoA as a rule of thumb ... even though 7 years 8 months is a theme that pops up relative to my profile perhaps due to my 33 years age of oldest which vastly exceeds optimal according to LN. My high age of oldest may be a problem if I go on a spree. Not much a concern dropping below 7y 8mo given my AAoA exceeds 16 years - unless I get 5 new cards and an auto loan. Smiley LOL

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 16 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@CreditDunce wrote:

Agreed, I saw the same. I generally say 8 years AAoA as a rule of thumb ... even though 7 years 8 months is a theme that pops up relative to my profile perhaps due to my 33 years age of oldest which vastly exceeds optimal according to LN. My high age of oldest may be a problem if I go on a spree. Not much a concern dropping below 7y 8mo given my AAoA exceeds 16 years - unless I get 5 new cards and an auto loan. Smiley LOL

Haha, I suspect that's more likely than my getting back under 4 years after I'm at even 4 years and 4 months... I'm headed towards to only losing  1/3 of a month AAOA for every new account I add and there's only so many I could spree before lenders started shutting me down for all the usual reasons Smiley Happy.

Ah well someone else can test for AAOA breakpoints I guess as it's going to be lucky if I can sort it out from the random noise on a clean file since I can't really do my usual go over, spree back, go over again to confirm the breakpoint anymore.

        
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Even if you opened 10 new accounts, that's still going to impact a sector of scoring that comprises 15%... and it's only a portion of that 15%.  No doubt your scores would drop below 850, but to what?  830?  820?  No matter what, they'd still be well above the lower end of "optimal" so due to the buffer you have you'd be just fine.

Message 18 of 20
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I will yield to the superior knowledge of TT.  If he says it takes 8 years AAoA for 850, I am sure he is correct.  I will say I haven't tried optimizing my profile and my EQ-08 score has been steady at 843 for the last 7 months.  AAoA 6 years.  5 new TLs in the past 1 year, newest 2 months.  Letting between 1/3 to 2/3 of my cards report balances.  Util is good. Oldest account 23 years.  No EQ INQs.  My assumption was I could get 850 on EQ if I didn't app for a year and only let one card report a balance.  I app every 6 months.

My EX is almost identical to EQ but it has more INQs.  My EX is much lower 821.  It was up to 831(833?), but I took another EX HP recently.  I am now at 5 EX INQs, 3 in the last year. 

My TU would be an interesting case study.  It has been in the range of 829-839 in the past 6 months.   My TU AAoA is 5.  Unfortunately, I think my TU AAoA wil climb to 6 before I get below 2 INQs in the past 12 months.   It was fairly close to 6 before my last app. 

Message 19 of 20
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

True that ACL if high can positively impact future SLs, but it's also important to remember that once exposure reaches a certain level (relative to income & profile) it's equally possible that high limits can adversely impact SLs, especially if they are between the same creditor.

You are correct.  And I am probably at that point.  My Penfed pre-approval's are down to 20k for the CC's.  It seems like it is a couple thousand less for each pre-approval.   No one has denied me yet, but I might have to start closing some accounts.  Or I might need to start adding in my investment income to what I tell them.  I use the lower income number to try to get lower SLs to keep my total CL from growing as quickly.  I am at a little over 3x total CL for my stated income. 

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.