Re: Opt Out

FCRA 604(C)(2)

Basically. only name and adress.

Message 21 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

... If you opt out, does that mean that they can't access this information, or will only a freeze accomplish that?

Comments on this thread and elsewhere indicate that members no longer see promo softs when they check their full credit reports. IMO, this indicates that the opt-out removes your reports from the pool that gets softed for offers.

*** eta: I see that I left out a whoppingly relevant phrase: "... members who have opted out no longer see promo softs... " Thanks for the catch, my-own-fico. That's what I get for trying to post while on hold. Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 22 of 26
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

"Comments on this thread and elsewhere indicate that members no longer see promo softs when they check their full credit reports. IMO, this indicates that the opt-out removes your reports from the pool that gets softed for offers."

I'll have to respectfully disagree.

I'll have to agree with someone who elsewhere wrote that "Promotional inquires are not the same as a soft inquiry. All soft inquires to my knowledge require the consumer's approval."

Which is along the lines of "PRM" and "FCRA 604(C)(2) Basically. only name and adress." (and maybe if you happen to be in a given FICO range.)

Is this just wishful thinking on my part? Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 26
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Upon further looking into it, my understanding has been updated.

It would appear that a PRM inquiry does not require permission and does show up as a soft. The key point though is that it doesn't return the credit report, but merely the credit score or that you are in a given score range.

As such, I'm not going to bother to opt out.

Message 24 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Thanks for replying to this! I see I left out the part about feedback from those who have opted out. Boy, that was a terrible post on my part! Smiley Tongue

I went back and edited in an attempt to avoid befuddling anyone.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 25 of 26
bigman023
Frequent Contributor

Hey Hotrod, what happend you opted out?  I found this statement on my TU credit report, after I opted out:

PROMOTIONAL OPT-OUT: This file has been opted out of promotional lists supplied by TransUnion
(Note: This statement is set to expire in 06/2015.)
5/2009 EQ-504(FICO), TU98-567(FICO), EX- 503 (FAKO)
10/17/11 EQ-633, TU04-652, EX-681 All lender Pulls
10/17/11 TU98-678
12/21/2012 TU98-677 (39% Util)
01/21/2012 EQ - 661 (37% Util) SW Alert
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.