Did you mean: 

Ouch! 26 Pt Drop After Mortgage Balance to $0

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ouch! 26 Pt Drop After Mortgage Balance to $0

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@AutoBot wrote:

Citimortgage - original balance $100,000, current balance $47,000, credit report now shows $0 balance, FICO8 dropped 26 points [47% B/L prior to close]

Wells Fargo - original balance $210,000, current balance $200,000, credit report not updated to $0 balance yet [95% B/L prior to close]

My only other installment loan is a student loan that has a $32,000 balance that is getting paid monthly. [unknown B/L]

Fico 08 looks at open installment loans in aggregate for scoring purposes. Since we don't know the original balance on your student loan I'll use a placeholder of $64,000. Perhaps you can provide us that number to more accurately calculate balance to loan ratios

1) Aggregate B/L all loans reporting = (47+200+32)/(100+210+64) = 74.6%

2) Aggregate B/L Citi paid & closed = (200+32)/(210+64) = 84.7%

3) Ag B/L Citi & WF paid off = 32/64 = 50%

Since you still have open installment loans on file, your score did not drop due to the classic "no open installment loan" syndrome associated with Fico 08. I suspect it dropped due open loan aggregate B/L crossing back above a threshold. 

Unless as you and Oilcan have suggested mortgage tradelines are counted somewhat differently.

I'm really surprised at the magnitude of the change score wise, I gained and lost a smaller number that that throughout my testing at a higher absolute score when talking FICO 8.  

Interesting at any rate, looking forward to that other datapoint on the unknown installment line (on the assumption it's reporting as installment).

        
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.