cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our Forums' FICO High Achievers: Who has at least one FICO Score of 760 or above?

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Our Forums' FICO High Achievers: Who has at least one FICO Score of 760 or above?

My reports have so many inquiries this past calendar year that it's a small miracle my mortgage scores are all above 760, and I didn't even apply for any credit cards lol.

Message 941 of 2,020
MsFICOGamePlayer
Established Member

Re: Our Forums' FICO High Achievers: Who has at least one FICO Score of 760 or above?

Finally!  I've reached my goal!

Seems like it's taken forever, but looking back perhaps not. Regardless, I've come a very long way and it's definitely been a test of patience. I read somewhere that it takes 20 years of history to reach 850. Well, 849 is close enough for me and in far less time. I believe my scores can be attributed most to the following:

- On time payments, each and every month and for several years. (Twice during the past 5 years I've made an AMEX payment 1 day post statement close date. Neither was reported late. Thanks AMEX!)

- A mix of credit, including a mortgage. The opinions differ on this, but I think the mortgage and it's age plays a crucial role in getting to 840. JMO.

- Low utilization, individually and overall, on all accounts.

The journey doesn't end here. Now on to keeping them. Smiley Wink

12/2014: TU 847 EQ 849 EX 849
08/2010: TU 820 EQ 805 EX 808 (from CU)
12/2009: TU 797 EQ 807
05/2009: TU 788 EQ 801
11/2008: TU 774 EQ 780 EX 794

Message 942 of 2,020
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Bravo, and congratulations!!!

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 943 of 2,020
PCR20
Regular Contributor

@MsFICOGamePlayer wrote:

Seems like it's taken forever, but looking back perhaps not. Regardless, I've come a very long way and it's definitely been a test of patience. I read somewhere that it takes 20 years of history to reach 850. Well, 849 is close enough for me and in far less time. I believe my scores can be attributed most to the following:

- On time payments, each and every month and for several years. (Twice during the past 5 years I've made an AMEX payment 1 day post statement close date. Neither was reported late. Thanks AMEX!)

- A mix of credit, including a mortgage. The opinions differ on this, but I think the mortgage and it's age plays a crucial role in getting to 840. JMO.

- Low utilization, individually and overall, on all accounts.

The journey doesn't end here. Now on to keeping them. Smiley Wink

Congratulations! on a well-executed plan and dito to the above statements, especially about the mix helping.

I teetered on the 800 mark for a few years, but by adding a couple of always paid on-time unsecured accounts I blasted right through this week.

Due to not paying close enough attention to the AutoPay Amount, I too had a mishap that caused me to be 1 day late by reason of underpayment  (Paid $200 instead of $221)

It was end of the Zero Interest Balance Transfer period and I screwed up by thinking I had one more month to go. (my bad!)

In my case it was CitiBank, but they were gracious enough to refund the late fee and it never reported.

Starting Score: 05/12/2007 was 724 average on all 3
Current Score: 02-10-2017 EQ=839 EX=837 TU=832
Message 944 of 2,020
Ubuntu
Regular Contributor

@MsFICOGamePlayer wrote:

I agree completely with most of your post and a mix of credit is definitely a plus especially when applying for installment loans but a mortgage or even a mix of credit is not necessary to obtain 840+ scores.

My scores are currently 843 Equifax, 848 Tranusunion, and 847 Experian. There hasen't been an installment loan reporting for me in 19 years. I currently only have 4 tradelines and they're all cards, 2 Chase revolving credit cards, one Amex revolver, and one Amex charge card. I have a perfect payment history, UTIL under 1%, a 22 year age of oldest account, and 10+ years AAoA. I also have two AU cards but based on my experiences they have little of no affect on my score under the newer Fico 8 system. My Equifax FICO 04 is considerably lower at 804 so that model may give a much higher weight to mix of credit.

My personal belief is that with no negative information present on a report reaching a 20 year oldest account and or an AAoA of 10 years along with a low UTIL makes the importance of mix of credit insignificant in reaching the 840 level. The resaoning behind this is based on what a credit score actually measures. I've seen a lot of people give descriptions of what a score measures but the title of the TransUnion model type is "Delinquency (90+ days) on existing accounts within 24 months" meaning your score reflects how likely they think it is that you'll have a serious late payment in the next two years with 850 meaning little of no chance and a 300 meaning a very high chance. I believe all of the major scores are measuring something very similar.  Based on that a 20 year history and long AAoA gives the algorithim confidence in a persons reliablity and the low UTIL shows you're in full control of your finances which combined tells them that your odds of having a 90 late are very, very small. My anecdotal evidence supporting this is that I went from scores all around 800 to scores all in the 840s overnight when two backdated Amex accounts hit my report.

After having typed all of the out I think everyone probably should get, and keep if possible, an installment loan on their history and I'm considering adding one myself in the near future Smiley Happy

Message 945 of 2,020
Ubuntu
Regular Contributor

@MsFICOGamePlayer wrote:

Forgot to say congratulations!

Now that you've hit 849 maybe you can help me figure out what in the world separates 847, 848, and 849 from an 850.  I have one or two inquiries on each report and two accounts less than two years old so my hope it that when the inquiries age off and those two accounts reach the two year mark I'll go to 850.

Right now I'm stuck waiting and hoping until I can stop chasing the perfect score. I know there's no real world purpose to it but I would really like to hit 850 once just for bucket list type purposes.

Message 946 of 2,020
HiLine
Blogger

@Ubuntu wrote:

@MsFICOGamePlayer wrote:

I agree completely with most of your post and a mix of credit is definitely a plus especially when applying for installment loans but a mortgage or even a mix of credit is not necessary to obtain 840+ scores.

Good luck getting 840 on FICO 04 without a mix of credit. Smiley Happy

For FICO 08, it is definitely possibly but takes significantly longer.

Message 947 of 2,020
KateVT

I discovered this forum a year ago. My FICO scores were between 650 and 680. I had one credit card that was constantly maxed out. I used the advice of the community and reached out to have a disputed medical collection removed; I opened ( and did not use) a number of credit cards to improve my debt to credit available ratio (now 1 to 2%) ...AND continued to pay off debt on time. Check cards and balances daily; pay more than once each month; only 2 late payments made 5 1/2 yrs ago. I learned so much from this forum. One year later ....775/768/771 and officially a FICO High Achiever. Merry Christmas everyone and thank you!!!!
Message 948 of 2,020
LilyBee
Regular Contributor

HiLine:  What are FICO 04 and 08?

Katy:  Congrats on your due diligence with credit and the resulting FICO scores.  Keep up the good work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting scores:2007 - TU-850; EX-850; EQ-850. JUNE 11, 2015 - TU-850; EX-850, EQ-850 - Also FICO 8.
LATEST SCORES: EQ: 850; TU: 850; EX: 850; FICO 9 - AS OF MARCH 7, 2016

LATEST SCORES AS OF Nov. 24, /2016 - TU- 850; EQ - 846; EX - 836.- Smiley Sad
Scores as of June 1, 2017: EQ - 842; TU 841; EX - 842;
SCORES as of April 19, 2018: EQ - 834; TU - 841; EX - 832.
New numbers will be posted in 2021
Message 949 of 2,020
MsFICOGamePlayer
Established Member

Thanks guys! The insight and education this forum provides is truly invaluable, particularly to a receptive student eager to learn.

KateVT, well done! Congratulations!!

Ubuntu, thanks! I too am caught up in the game. (Hence, my name) I know there's really no difference between 820 and 850 but, I like you have a somewhat competitive spirit. (Ok, so drop the 'somewhat'.) An installment loan could be just what you need.

HiLine, Kudos on your web site! Looking forward to reading all.

Message 950 of 2,020
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.