cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our Forums' FICO High Achievers: Who has at least one FICO Score of 760 or above?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Our Forums' FICO High Achievers: Who has at least one FICO Score of 760 or above?

You always have great advice lilybee

Message 671 of 2,020
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Our Forums' FICO High Achievers: Who has at least one FICO Score of 760 or above?

I feel kinda bad posting here after not really being active on the forum... but I have been lurking and a member at myfico for a long time as I worked on my credit. I signed up for quarterly monitoring the other day since I want to begin preparing for buying my first house, and found that my TU score is now 774! I've had lots of ups and downs over the years, including a horrible period about 8 years ago which finally dropped off my report, so it's a really nice thing to see!

Of course, this is only a piece of the picture as I've worked toward owning my own place (something my parents even hardly ever did - we had a house of our own for just a fwe years before they got divorced, and since then my father's gone bankrupt, and my mother's been close...), and I've tried my best to budget consciously and educate myself in personal finance. I'm even taking a class offered by our local governmental chapter of HAND this month on home ownership (part of the reason for getting the report now), and I think I might even have the best score in the class! Haha, although it's generally designed for low income people, so I suppose it's not surprising... not that I'm high income at all, but that's another thing I have to consider in pursuing a mortgage.

Anyway, I suppose just after hanging around the site for several years now, I'm happy to finally be able to post in a thread like this. Smiley Very Happy

Message 672 of 2,020
LilyBee
Regular Contributor

Jgans:  Sounds as though you've come a long way with great results.  Be proud of yourself and keep up the good work.  You probably already found out that you can learn quite a bit on this website, especially with the experience of folks who have 'been there, done that' in terms of establishing good credit.

One of my best resources has been Suze Orman, whose advice I have followed for more than 20 years to my best advantage.  Some folks don't appreciate her 'in your face' truthfulness, but I certainly do.   Another website you need to check out as you think about purchasing a house is Zillow.com.  It can give you ballpark figures as you look around different areas and communities that have available housing.  One helpful hint when buying a house is that you don't have to escrow insurance and taxes.  If you can afford it, you can pay those once a year and that lowers your house payment.  Sometimes the lenders forget to mention that option. 

Good luck to you in managing your finances.  With diligent monitoring, it will pay off in the end

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting scores:2007 - TU-850; EX-850; EQ-850. JUNE 11, 2015 - TU-850; EX-850, EQ-850 - Also FICO 8.
LATEST SCORES: EQ: 850; TU: 850; EX: 850; FICO 9 - AS OF MARCH 7, 2016

LATEST SCORES AS OF Nov. 24, /2016 - TU- 850; EQ - 846; EX - 836.- Smiley Sad
Scores as of June 1, 2017: EQ - 842; TU 841; EX - 842;
SCORES as of April 19, 2018: EQ - 834; TU - 841; EX - 832.
New numbers will be posted in 2021
Message 673 of 2,020
A_Madel
Contributor

Can I play?

Current: EQ 791 / TU 788 / EX 752 FICO's (MyFico, Oct 2012)

*** NFCU Plat | USAA CR Amex | PenFed TR Amex | BOA Gold | JP Morgan Select | Amex BCP | Amex PRG | USAA Plat ***
Message 674 of 2,020
LilyBee
Regular Contributor

Most certainly, A_M; you have good numbers.  We welcome your input.

The sandbox is open.  Smiley Happy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting scores:2007 - TU-850; EX-850; EQ-850. JUNE 11, 2015 - TU-850; EX-850, EQ-850 - Also FICO 8.

Message 675 of 2,020
RedThunder

Starting scores 5/1/12 TU 589

Current score 9/19/12 TU 776

Message 676 of 2,020
LilyBee
Regular Contributor

Way to go, RedT.  That was a big jump in such a short time.  Makes one feel good, doesn't it?  

Message 677 of 2,020
Andrew22
Regular Contributor

I started in October of 2010, with a TU score of 603. I now sit at 797...and largely, because of the education I got from this forum. Kind of a good story.

I had never paid any attention to my credit until one day I received a notice from the local marshal that my wages were to be garnished, and that there was an $8,000 judgment against me by some scummy law firm. Turns out, it was completely fraudulent. It took almost a year of battling, but I won. On the day I finally won, the attorney asked me in the hall outside court if I wanted to talk settlement before we went before the judge. I said "Sure. I'll take $2000." I knew there was NO evidence, and at a previous hearing, the lawyer had won a continuance to "pull more information." I told the judge if I had to come back to court again over this suit, I'd be asking for sanctions, and costs, and the Judge said I was within rights to do so. The attorney tried to intimidate me, but I knew there was no evidence at all and this was fraud, pure and simple. So, what happened? When I asked for $2,000 the lawyer said, "OK, smart guy, suit yourself," in a very angry tone. And then, 10 minutes later, my name was called by the bailiff, who told me I could go home, my case was dropped. What happened? The plaintiff's didn't show up. Turns out, rather than face the judge, and sanctions, the lawyer LEFT! Just minutes after trying to press me to settle with them, he bolted. I won the case, had the judgment removed.

That situation, however, made me pay attention to my entire report--and it was not good. Very small Verizon collection from an old phone accout. DirectTV my old roommates had skipped out (but was in my name). And, an IRS lien, even though I'd paid the debt. Also, a misreported student loan with a 90-day late, an old CC account with five 30-day lates.

Now, I could have mucked this up and made it worse, but thanks to the advice here, I was patient, and persistent, and took a smart course of action. Had the Verizon and DTV accounts challenged off after months of wrangling. Took advantage of an IRS policy and had the lien deleted. Got the CC company to Goodwill remove the entire account (it was paid in full, and the company had re-aged the account when it was bought by another). And, had the evidence that my SL was misreported, and had that fixed. Took just over a year. Today, I have a clean sheet.

I have since gotten a great mortgage and bought a home...

Message 678 of 2,020
Andrew22
Regular Contributor

I started in October of 2010, with a TU score of 603. I now sit at 797...and largely, because of the education I got from this forum. Kind of a good story.

I had never paid any attention to my credit until one day I received a notice from the local marshal that my wages were to be garnished, and that there was an $8,000 judgment against me by some scummy law firm. Turns out, it was completely fraudulent. It took almost a year of battling, but I won. On the day I finally won, the attorney asked me in the hall outside court if I wanted to talk settlement before we went before the judge. I said "Sure. I'll take $2000." I knew there was NO evidence, and at a previous hearing, the lawyer had won a continuance to "pull more information." I told the judge if I had to come back to court again over this suit, I'd be asking for sanctions, and costs, and the Judge said I was within rights to do so. The attorney tried to intimidate me, but I knew there was no evidence at all and this was fraud, pure and simple. So, what happened? When I asked for $2,000 the lawyer said, "OK, smart guy, suit yourself," in a very angry tone. And then, 10 minutes later, my name was called by the bailiff, who told me I could go home, my case was dropped. What happened? The plaintiff's didn't show up. Turns out, rather than face the judge, and sanctions, the lawyer LEFT! Just minutes after trying to press me to settle with them, he bolted. I won the case, had the judgment removed.

That situation, however, made me pay attention to my entire report--and it was not good. Very small Verizon collection from an old phone accout. DirectTV my old roommates had skipped out (but was in my name). And, an IRS lien, even though I'd paid the debt. Also, a misreported student loan with a 90-day late, an old CC account with five 30-day lates.

Now, I could have mucked this up and made it worse, but thanks to the advice here, I was patient, and persistent, and took a smart course of action. Had the Verizon and DTV accounts challenged off after months of wrangling. Took advantage of an IRS policy and had the lien deleted. Got the CC company to Goodwill remove the entire account (it was paid in full, and the company had re-aged the account when it was bought by another). And, had the evidence that my SL was misreported, and had that fixed. Took just over a year. Today, I have a clean sheet.

I have since gotten a great mortgage and bought a home...

Message 679 of 2,020
LilyBee
Regular Contributor

Wow, Andrew.  It certainly paid off to be dilligent in clearing up those messes, especially the ones that were not yours.  Congratulations are in order for sticking to it.

Be wary, however, in how you charge items in the future.  MyFico is arbitrary in how it records credit scores. 

Back in June, I charged $4000+ for a new transmission for my car.  I had no other CC charges.  I paid off the account when the bill came due.  A couple weeks later I charged $48, on that same card so I will have something on my credit.   I will pay that off when the next bill comes in and charge something else.  In the meantime after a couple of months, I checked my credit scores (thinking it would be higher since I paid off the $4K).  Instead, my scores were lowered!!  Go figure.

If you've seen any of my previous posts over the years, you will see how MyFico absolutely drives me nuts!!  Good thing my scores are not so low.  Smiley Frustrated

Just saying.

Message 680 of 2,020
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.